Parametric Enclosure Design

I’m working on a parametric enclosure design for the HDM but it would be applicable for any machine of relative size. The model is parametric with all important parameters user definable. Designed to be cut from .750" MDF or Plywood and the stock thickness is also accounted for. Features include cabinet doors top and bottom, Semi-Torsion box for machine platform and storage bottom. If you use a kreg jig it should be able to be built with no visible fasteners. Sides can be filled in with any material of your choosing.

4 Likes

I like your design. Did you have dimensions? I’m also awaiting my HDM and I’m still deciding on the enclosure.

Thanks

Used the model @wmoy shared. Outside dimensions are 48" x 42" x 66"

Added Poly-carbonate panels and opened the doors. Added doors to the rear of the enclosure for pass-through and cleanup. It takes 4 4’ x8’ sheets at 66" H x 48" W x 42" D. Those are outside dimensions.

I’m going to pick up some MDF today and get started.

2 Likes

Where are you planning to put your vacuum and hose?

Also, where is the computer going?

Where are you going to store you’re frequently used tools. I think most people find a shallow drawer under the unit to be very handy…I know that I originally kept my stuff in a small tool organiser, but since making my drawer, I have been so much happier

Where do you plan to put the Emergency Stop if you are going to put one in?

Where will the power outlets go?

Likely through a Bulkhead Fitting I’ve yet to design. Will be 3D printed and either go through the floor or side .

One more thought in the design…in your torsion box, I would leave a hole for vertical work holding (Hopefully someone can find the post that shows this as I could t locate it). Otherwise there is front vertical work holding as well.

1 Like

Also, have you left enough front clearance that the swept attachment doesn’t hit the front doors causing them to come open?

Sorry for the multiple posts, these are just some of the considerations that one must make

For the HDM in particular, I don’t believe the spindle travels much past (if at all) the front of the table. On other models, you are correct that would be an issue requiring a few extra inches. @wmoy or @WillAdams can confirm. Since the machine doesn’t travel that far both of these issues are moot. However, if I ever release the file they could be easily integrated.

Edit: There is the possibility of a vertical cutout if you remove the hybrid bed I suppose.

I have an EvilMadScientist computer cart that will house all the tooling and computer. If someone would rather drawers than doors on the bottom that’s an easy change.

1 Like

Made a few small but structural changes. The panel inserts on all the openings are now recessed into dado’s and captive. This provides additional support for the tabletop .Rather than relying solely on glue and mechanical fasteners it is now fully supported by the .750" vertical divider and back / sides are fully supported by the captive panels. The load is distributed much better overall. The captive panels also add rigidity to the overall structure. I simplified all the dimensions I could for ease of processing the sheet stock. All primary boards are now 3.000" wide, all secondary boards are 2.250". Door frames are 1.000" wide. I reduced the overall materials cost significantly while adding rigidity. Construction will just require a table saw, pocket hole jig, glue and screws, and clamps.

It would be very easy to swap out the cabinet doors in the bottom with drawers or shelving. It would also be simple to make enclosure (everything from the machine base up) removable.

New user here,about to build my table and put the cnc together. Absolutely love this design! Thanks for posting

2 Likes

Sneak peek of the enclosure. The main parts are built and assembled. I ended up using splines just about everywhere to reinforce the glue joints. Only had one area where it split and it was due to a tight cut that I forced with a clamp. Preliminary sanding on the faces has been done. Once all the sanding is done I’ll seal it all with poly probably. Still need to build the cabinet doors, but I think I’m going to change the design to a front mounted shaker with lift off hinges rather than flush mount. Should help with noise attention and dust collection.

All of the cut edges will have edge banding on them also.

And I (220lbs) can sit on the machine platform with no noticable deflection.

2 Likes

Front doors are hung. My hinges are resin 3d printed lift off hinges with 10mm linear rod as hinge pins

3 Likes

Final renderings of the cabinet. I added the handles to the render for completion.

The final cabinet has FDM 3D printed handles, Resin 3D printed hinges and magnet latches, and I’m going to resin print a light fixture to go over the top of the upper doors to light the work area. The fixture housing will be resin printed and I’ll install a 12v triple row led strip across it. The cover for the fixture will also be resin printed.

2 Likes

Parts finally came in for my light fixture. It’s a triple row, 12v led strip in a 3d printed housing. This is just one fixture, I may add a couple more later on.

The fixture is modular and you can add as many or as few sections as you need.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.