Pause Button for Shapeoko

@LiamN OOPs, sorry! - I didn’t use the SFPF spreadsheet, I used the one posted (and added some more info) here!

@DanStory Do you just install a Normally open latching type switch to short those two pin on the board?
have you done this, can you please provide a little more info?

Also, then why can’t we use the e-stop pins as well. @WillAdams any toughs?

Folks can wire up any pins in Grbl which they wish to use:

We just feel that an e-stop should be a hardwired stop of everything, esp. the router.

1 Like

Why latching? Just a momentary switch. A true E-stop should cut all power.

I’ll second that,

In my opinion and if I was carrying out any sort of risk assessment for employees;

A software based “Emergency Stop” is not an “Emergency” stop, it’s a “If you’re not busy, the problem isn’t caused by a code bug, you haven’t crashed and when you feel like it, please, only the things you have control authority over” stop.

An “Emergency” stop is an external electromechanical system which is able to override the machinery in question and force a stop, thus the use of NVR switches and contactors to remove power in the case of CNC movement and spindle power. This includes shutting off a misbehaving spindle or VFD. In many cases this trigger circuit is also connected to interlocks such as the doors of electrical cabinets.

There are some exceptions to this external system method, such as conveyor belt systems where it is specifically counterproductive to drop power to the drive because you need the drive engaged to bring the belt to a halt quickly and to keep it stationary whilst just removing VFD power would not even stop the belt in some conditions.

There are many uses for a “Software Stop”, with it’s own button to help you stop the machine, it’s certainly easier than fumbling with the mouse for the Pause button in CC.

Those aren’t the uses for the “Emergency” stop button, on a machine I’m using I have a strong preference for that to electrically cut off the machine and stop everything, whatever the fault cause.

edit:

Perhaps it might be easier to call the software trigger pin on the controller something other than “E-stop” to avoid any confusion?

3 Likes

That’s taken care of: the E-stop header does not exist anymore on v2.4 boards (introduced circa 2017?)

1 Like

Is there still, and will there continue to be, (momentary?) “Pause” or “Feed Hold” inputs? It seems they would be useful to stop the feed more quickly (and safely) in certain circumstance - like alarms from spindles.

Yep the Feedhold input is still there, and talk about the devil, I am literally testing it as we speak on my machine, with a push switch.

3 Likes

Lots of easy and inexpensive ways to do that - search Amazon for “Router Power Switches”, get one, and plug everything into it.

It’d be nice to see the resume pin broken out to the available headers.

The thread is titled, “PAUSE BUTTON” for Shapeoko… I understand all of the E-Stop discussions, and already have a HARD OFF emergency button for my router and Shapeoko. (as do many Shapeoko users)

But just a few thoughts…

- there is already a software PAUSE button on the Run Screen

- it’s hard to make sure the mouse is positioned directly over the pause button if you’re thinking about a pause (not an e-stop, but to tighten a clamp, remove a piece of cut material safely, hit the boy’s/girl’s room, etc.)

-on the Jog Screen there are already a bunch of keyboard shortcuts that can be emulated with a DIY jog controller.

So, this seems very logical to me…

It would be EASY to add a few keyboard shortcut to the Run Screen. (I’m speaking as a programmer for a moment… the ability to assign a key press to a screen button has already been implemented on the Jog screen)

All of this could be done with no soldering, no issues with different control board versions, etc… just a software addition

The DIY jog controllers already know how to emulate a key press. So why not have a few keyboard shortcuts on the Run Screen that could use the same DIY jog controller buttons?

For example:

Z up = PgUp on the Jog Screen, could = Pause on the Run Screen (because when you Pause the z goes up off the workpiece)

Z down = Pg Down on the Jog Screen, could = Start/Resume on the Run Screen (because when you hot Start, the z goes down to the workpiece and continues)

A few simple programming additions to the Carbide Motion Run Screen would make our DIY Jog Controllers also be a great way to have an “easy to get to quickly” PAUSE and START button!

Please, can we get someone at C3D to consider this quick software upgrade?

4 Likes

Yeah, but the OP started off with…

Hence the replies that followed.

1 Like

I guess I just see a panic pause as different than a panic e-stop!

Panic pause: I want to stop because there “might” be an issue, I want to check something, I want to stop and think about what “appears” to be happening, or the bit sounds like it’s loose so I just want to turn off the router and tighten it just in case… and then I get to continue where I left off. I’ve done a panic pause on a number of occasions (new to this whole thing) and just wish I didn’t have to hover over the right spot on the screen and hit the mouse at the right time, when a simple button press would be easier.

As opposed to Panic eStop: Whoa, something seriously wrong is about to happen… I don’t care if I have to redo the job and start over - Just stop everything… NOW!

Just my take on the situation, and my suggestion for a simple solution!

1 Like

Yup…

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.