Pausing job does not retract or stop spindle

I have a new SO5, upgrading from an SO3 XXL. I swear this was working on my first few jobs, but today I started a surfacing job, realized sweepy was not low enough and hit the Pause button in Carbide Motion (Latest version). I expected the spindle to stop and the z-axis to raise. It did not, it just stat there spinning away.

Hitting pause on the power pendant had the same effect. Hitting the pause button on that a second time did not do anything (should it?).

Lastly, I saw in Carbide Motion black busy indicator at the top the whole time. Oh, and when I actually stopped the job, it did shut down the spindle but it didn’t move it at all, usually the machine sorta resets position.

Any thoughts?

I have an SO3 and the CM version 613 I am currently on will sometimes shut off the router (BitRunner) and other times it just raises up (or not) and leave the router running. I think it depends on where in the gcode you hit pause. Sometimes I just want to check something and want to pause and have the router rise and shut off. So it can weird but I have not figured out why it sometimes does what is expected and sometimes not. I think it is something in CM.

If you hit pause when the BitSetter routines are running it does strange things and not as expected. However if you are cutting and hit pause it does as expected by shutting off router and raising the router up.???

1 Like

Definitely in cutting mode. I have seen the behavior you mention around timing makes it a bit wonky at times, but it was doing no special routines, just mid cut.

The S5Pro has a different pause behavior than the previous machines. That’s how mine acts.

2 Likes

What? :cry:

I used that all the time with my SO3, either clearing out chips, small adjustments, pausing because I had to leave for 20 minutes, etc. There does not seem to be anyway to just “stop” without resetting the job entirely.

This condition has been brought up before when the latest Motion revision was released. Had very little input from Carbide which I interpreted as that’s just the way it is. Possibly if enough members brought this forward as an issue a fix would be implemented.

This would be much prefered over the current pause-in-place operation. Pressing the pause button on the pendant a second time should unpause also, I was very surprised when it didn’t.

2 Likes

This is a huge oversight on carbides part. Not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but it should have been there in the first place. Its a very useful and much missed feature.

3 Likes

How it is around these parts.

yeah, ive always been confused as to why the spindle doesnt stop when you hit pause. it would also be nice to retract the spindle height back up to check work…

1 Like

It is surprising how painful this change is. Many of my jobs run for hours. I am now not starting them because I cannot pause them. There are plenty of times I would start a job, pause it to go grab lunch, go to a meeting or frankly overnight and start it again in the morning and now I cannot.

This is extremely frustrating.

4 Likes

There is a clear distinction between Feed Hold = stop where you are the spindle remains running and Pause = stop, retract Z, and stop spindle (with the accompanying resume routine).
The old Pause behavior is my preference most of the time. I support different actions for the feed hold physical button (on the new machines) and the pause softkey, even the addition of a feed hold softkey so the options are available to everyone. I would really like to see the pause function enhanced by adding a tool change button after the Z axis reached the retracted position. Changing the action of a button with an expected behavior to a completely different function without changing the name of the button is not good practice.

2 Likes

Hopefully C3D will fix this. It could be dangerous. I often Pause to tighten the collet or just inspect the project or maybe make a clamp change. I would suppose it is in the coding and that can be fixed. There is a definite difference between the SO5 Pause and the other machines pause behavior. Lets hope they fix this soon.

1 Like

Every time this issue is mentioned everyone from Carbide seems to avoid it like the plague. Its been brought up many times and they have yet to comment on if from what I’ve seen for whatever reason.

4 Likes

I agree with you on this. Coming from running industrial milling centers in aerospace,

“Feed Hold” simply means to pause movement right where it’s at. That way you can check where the positioning is to where you think it should be. I think this should remain for the pendant button, and as you pointed out a screen soft button.

For most uses a “Pause” button (stop spindle, retract to max height) is the preferred behavior for the majority of users. This would be great for a screen soft button allowing people to set dust boot height, check a tool, etc.

5 Likes

And let’s not forget “Run from here” for when you need to re home your machine in the middle, or towards the end of a 12 hour job.

1 Like

The behavior when feedhold is triggered is not something that can be changed in Carbide Motion. It’s baked into the firmware of the machine, so the chances it will be changed are slim. This was a deliberate choice and better aligns with how industrial machines behave, as Josh mentioned. And there’s no way as far as I know to command different behaviors between a “Pause” or a Feedhold. Behind the scenes, it’s the same command and the only thing GRBL understands.

As a consolation however, this means you can stop a program immediately (without waiting for the machine to retract… takes awhile with an HDZ), and with the newest Carbide Motion version the machine won’t needlessly home every single time you stop a program. So you should be able to tighten your collet, adjust sweepy, etc with little delay if you notice a problem when you start a program. I’d argue it’s just as quick, if not better in the majority of cases.

3 Likes

I do not know the inner workings of how Carbide Motion and the machine communicate. It appears that it is in real-time sending the GRBL.

What you describe above would work IF I could pickup where I left off. Meaning, could not Carbide Motion know where I hit STOP, and let me “RESTART” from the previous GRBL command? Pausing and starting does something like this.

Maybe to better understand this decision, other than “it’s what the industrial machines do” what are the actual benefits when we now have a dedicated “STOP” button? Were people asking for this? Stop button just kills the machine, no retracting, its instant. Pausing just stops the movement. I really don’t even know why I would ever use that since I can’t really make any adjustments with the thing spinning.

This may be less of an issue with a router - are there options with the Spindle? I guess I haven’t tried just pushing the button on it, will it stop and just restart if I do so? (The one on the front)

Just dropped a lot of money on an upgraded machine and I am frankly now cutting less because I have to commit to being present for hours in one go.

1 Like

Spindle retraction is a subroutine on the controller, not something that is commanded by Carbide Motion.

We are working on the ability to (re)start a program at an arbitrary point. No firm ETA on it, but it’s on the roadmap.

The typical use of feedhold on a machine is to stop movement so the operator can assess the situation. Often this is used many times in quick succession so you can catch the machine and see if it’s going to start cutting correctly or crash. Can’t do that if you have to wait 15 seconds for it to park itself and resume. Feedrate override doesn’t cover this because it doesn’t override rapid movements. (Perhaps that’s a feature that’s needed, but that’s another discussion)

Hitting the red illuminated “enable” button (on the VFD) will kill the VFD spindle regardless of what else is going on. It’s offered as an extra failsafe layer and can be toggled when changing endmills.

I’m not sure I follow your argument with regards to machine tending and being physically present. Whatever the machine does when it pauses has no effect on what the CNC does when you’re not around.

3 Likes

RE: The red button on the Spindle. Pressing that will kill it, will pressing it again start it?

RE: Being present, what I mean is I have som aluminum jobs that run for 2-4 hours. Between life / meetings / clients - I often need to leave. What I did on my SO3 - I hit pause, everything stops, an hour or so later I can comeback and start it back up. I do not want to leave when I am cutting something, specifically so if it is metal.

I care less about the thing raising the Z axis (though I prefer it) and more so about reliably being able to pause all movement and spinning and start it back up later.

3 Likes