Peel Coat experiment

Just in case anyone is wondering if Peel Coat works for a mask on the CNC…it does, with one main caveat. It is hard to peel.
I’ve seen mention of people thinking about trying/using Peel Coat for their CNC work, but I haven’t seen any reports on them actually trying it. I bought a can of Rustoleum Peel Coat awhile back, only with the intention of trying it out as a mask. That day finally came when one of my boys was going through my paint and ran across it and said, “Let’s try it out now.”
He first prepped the baltic birch with polyacrylic and acrylic paint mixture, I use this to “color stain” my work. He let that dry for 1 to 2 hrs, then sprayed it with the peel coat. He let that dry for another 1 to 2 hrs. Then he ran the Vcarves and the profile. It cut really well, not gummy like I expected.
Then the peeling part. This was Adam’s project, so he got the “joy” of peeling. It’s not terrible, but it’s not easy either. Maybe with a little more experimenting on methodology, we may use this technique. I’m thinking about using an eraser?
It did not leave behind any residue, but for now, I’ll just stick with shelf paper.

5 Likes

I’d like to view your videos, @themillertree, but the message is that the video is not supported. I don’t know why at the moment, because there is no other information available. I can’t even tell what kind of video it is that isn’t supported.

Me too.

Yeah it’s annoying, I used to be able to paste Google video, but no longer. What’s up @WillAdams?

2 Likes

Try this
(https://photos.app.goo.gl/PFWS5B7MF3Bnvs3r5)

That would be a Disqus implementation aspect and an admin such as @robgrz or @Jorge or @edwardrford would have to speak to it.

Here’s a few items from Rustoleum that might improve the application above:

• Target 50% coverage on the first coat and apply four or more coats for complete coverage. The more coats, the easier the paint is to remove.
  • Allow each coat to dry to a finish. This should take about 5-10 minutes between coats.
  • Begin removing tape and other masking immediately after the last coat has been applied to keep clean edges. If you wait too long, the coating may adhere too much to the tape.
  • Let Peel Coat set for at least one hour before touching or driving the vehicle, wait at least 24 hours before washing.
  • To peel the coating off, slowly rub along one edge until it begins to peel back and work slowly from the edges.

Probably, you didn’t get it thick enough to facilitate the removal.

5 Likes

Nice!
Yea, this was my sons project, and he has a tendency to rush, so this makes perfect sense. I’ll have to let him try again with your information.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.