Resolved: Pinouts for BitRunner

So, in an effort to not void the warranty on my BitRunner, I think I may go down the lines of @Madboy’s post, here.

Is it simply the case of connecting pin 6 to the ground connection and pin 3 to the tip of the stereo plug, then enabling BitRunner and saving the settings to the Shapeoko?

It just seems a bit too simple!

Thanks

It does seem simple, and pretty much is.

Pin 3 has 0v when the spindle isn’t running, and a pulse of voltage when it is running which approximates a non-zero voltage.

If the device is really really fast, it might switch the router on and off hundreds of times a second… but more likely, there’s a capacitor in there somewhere that smooths this out so it will just turn things on. Probably.

There is a setting in Carbide Motion that says you have spindle control hardware. Not sure if you need to enable that, but I did when I connected a VFD to those same pins.

As far as I know, that setting only prevents CM to show the pop-up window telling you to turn on (or off) your router. For sure the controller board generates the PWM signal unconditionally whenever it sees a M3 command in the G-code, since this is a GRBL behavior.

@NewToThis I’m not sure I understood what you want to achieve, if you already own a BitRunner? (and I suppose your mention to “BitSetter” was a typo?)

3 Likes

I missed that - you stole a chance for me to be pedantic. Curse you :smiley:

On a more serious note (sort of), perhaps C3D should retire the BitXXXX nomenclature. It is often a source of confusion on the forum.

You, @Julien, could run a monthly competition for new names. In that spirit, and since it’s obviously going to happen, here are my suggestions:

BitZero: C3D WhereAmI?™
BitRunner: C3D SpindleStarter™
BitSetter: C3D HowLong?™

(edit: I did consider BitSetter=> C3D HowLongIsMyTool?™ but decided to keep it safe and serious)

5 Likes

Argghhh! I keep doing that!

Note to self: Read it again - and then again - before clicking “Submit”.

I have a bit of an issue with the connectivity of the BitRunner, in that I’m UK-based so the connectors require adapters, which I’m not fond of using, and the router lead is really short, making it difficult to change the outlet to a UK version (the cabling is also really thick) without soldering in a new cable, ultimately affecting the warranty.

I was rather hoping to use this, as a suitable alternative instead.

3 Likes

I didn’t have you as one lacking in courage :rofl: :rofl:

Peter
It really is that simple and the Keane device must have a debounce circuit which aggregates the incoming PWM into a simple on / off.

My experience with it has been that you can use M3 S1 upwards to switch on reliably.

I then use the IEC standard output to a twin UK 13amp socket (in orange to show it’s switched) to power the spindle and vacuum cleaner.

3 Likes

A UK Naval competition to name the newest research vessel in the fleet received the most popular vote by far: “Boaty Mc Boat-Face”. The Navy rejected this, but did use it for the submersible associated with this boat.
So… Bitty Mc Bit-Face, Spinny Mc Spin-Face, and Proby Mc Probe-Face?

8 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.