Plunge rate doesn't change

Seems likes setting the plunge rate only changes for non rapid moves. When I lower the setting it does take effect but for only the initial move down to the work piece. Any plunge after a rapid is always the same. Is this something that can be changed in the firmware?

No, the firmware only affects the acceleration rate of the axis and so forth — the actual speed setting is determined by:

• move is rapid (G0)
  • move is feed (G1/G2/G3) at specified feed rate (F###)

Which CAM tool are you using?

Just using the Carbide Create software for now. What CAM software would you recommend?

I work for the company, so Carbide Create unless there’s a reason to use something else.

Could you post a file and the specifics? Also, try this in the new beta version?

https://carbide3d.com/carbidecreate/beta/

So I found this pdf online for feeds and speeds for the Nomad 883. Strange it doesn’t match the defaults in tool library in the software. So originally…I based my speeds and feeds from those defaults which are obviously wrong. In the carbide create software, the default for the 1/8" end mill is 10000 rpms, feed 10, with a plunge of 8? The pdf says 9200 rpms, feed 8 with a plunge of 1??? This is for Aluminum. Kind of confusing.

I am going to try again with the pdf settings and see how it goes.

The PDFs at:

were an early set which have pretty much been supplanted by the ones in Carbide Create — if they work, that’s great, if they don’t work, try the feeds and speeds in CC instead.

I will note that in Carbide 3D license mode, MeshCAM will work up feeds and speeds for the materials which it supports automatically, so is a great option for new Nomad owners.

so what is supposed to happen is that the tool lowers with G0 to just above the material
(the top of material the first pass, but it remembers so the next pass it’ll be deeper) and then G1 for the last 0.25mm or so all the way to the new depth… and this SHOULD have the plungerate you put into the GUI.

If you’re in doubt, we’re here always happy to look at the gcode, for example if you just make a small square or something and export… we’re all happy to look and check what is going on

(bugs happen. if it’s confirmed, these kind of bugs tend to get fixed quick by the C3D folks)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.