Predrilling v bit entry locations?

I am about to start on some relief carvings in brass with a v bit. Just a 40mm coin blank.

I got to thinking though. These tips are rather fragile and brass isn’t exactly forgiving… plunging the tip seems like a bad idea.

Do you folks think predrilling a predefined location will help with the tip life? I assume dropping into the hole before moving laterally to start the cut will help.

Is it worth the hassle/tool change? Or do you think a shallow ramp entry would suffice and save a tool change?

Why not use a V endmill with a rounded tip such as our #501 and #502 engravers?

Mostly because I’ve already ruined the tips on the 501 and 502 I’ve currently got :sweat_smile:

I’ll be getting a few more soon so I’ll put them head to head vs a traditional v-bit and a few of the triangle vbits i picked up awhile back.

And for the sake of others, IIRC I ruined my tips when learning that lathe cut coin blanks always have a bit of a bump towards the center.

In certain circumstances, this can lead to a much more aggressive cut than anticipated :man_shrugging:
At least they’re ~cheap :upside_down_face:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.