Pro 5 - cutting envelope

Help me understand the cutting envelope size.

I was working on spoilboard surfacing today and was having trouble getting it to do the full bed. It wouldn’t go far enough left on X and back enough on the Y and I needed to remove the bitsetter so I didn’t run into it with the surfacing bit. I ran a pocket operation then I had to do a 2nd contour to get the last bits. I got several errors a few times about the project paths being outside the machine limits so I had to adjust things a few times.

I also noticed the position of center isn’t actually centered on Y, it was like 21” from the back.

I’m getting ready to cut a full 48x48 project and I’m trying to figure out where to align things and if I need to remove the bitsetter every time I do a full project like that.

If you don’t need to cut to the right edge, it should be possible to secure this.

My recommendation is to draw things up based on the rapid position coordinates:

I have my patterns in 1/2” from the edges so I don’t technically need to cut a full 48” wide but the sheet will be 48” wide.

I will need to do 4 bit changes during the process.

I reviewed what you linked and will sit down and check some dimensions with the jog.

When I surfaced mine, I noted how far it read when I went to the extreme front left. I then halfed that to surface everything in one go.

1 Like

You can resurface a full 4x4. They’re around a half inch extra ish. On each axis over 48”.

The bit sweeter will be in the way.

You can relocated the hit setter to get around this, you just need to make a bracket. If

So I made some side fences and then ran a 48x48 contour with a 1/4 bit telling it to run inside. That ended up with just shy of 48” wide and tall. If I would have ran on the line that would be too wide. I only went .1 down to test.

From what I can tell. My right fence can be trimmed to just inline or shy of the bitsetter and I will still have 48” travel to left.

But what I’m not getting is how to cut exactly 48” wide so I know my fences are in the perfect spot to feet a 4x8 sheet though.

You really don’t want a fence on both left and right sides. Sheet goods are rarely spot on and there really is no need for more then one fence per axis.

3 Likes

Here’s my fence on the left for fitting a full 48" with the BitSetter in place. I did several smaller ones so I could put Teez Nuts in there permanently.

2 Likes

That’s pretty much exactly what i’m doing. I assume you put them in there and then ran a 1/4 bit or something to trim them to the machine travel?

My fence on the right side is really just to protect the bitsetter, if i start cutting into that, then i know i’m about to hit the bitsetter accidentally.

2 Likes

You got it. I installed them just a bit into the cutting area, then shaved off the least amount possible to get it parallel to the Y axis.

3 Likes

Ok, well i machined the fences, so hopefully later today i’ll try running the 4x8 sheet for this cabinet through.

I ended up creating a new “gantry” for my festool hose as i noticed it would bind in the front right depending on how it moved to that location, it’s coming down from the center now.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.