Pro XXL Content

The poorly drawn one is the carbide 3d supplied sharpie. I set the zero wrong and it pressed way to hard. Either that or needed a few more rpms :wink:

This is using a fine tip sharpie brand with the zero set better then the first time.
I

9 Likes

Wow! Thank you for posting this project. I am in the process of learning Fusion 360 and will take a look on how you designed and setup the project on fusion. Will I be able to open this project in Fusion and edit in Sketch?

Hi John,
I have listed the Fusion 360 link, you can view it online and also download it and then load it into Fusion. Check out the settings and the tool path data closely to learn how to properly select the frame and boundaries.
If you want to make text to carve in Fusion, you will want to get some cool fonts first. I just setup a new PC and downloaded and installed the entire free google font library.
There is a lot to carving out text though. Some of the considerations include that you have to take into account how big the letters are, and how a round tool will not cut a sharp inside corner.
What I do is find a font I like and sketch it. Then extrude it. Then adjust every corner to fit the smallest tool I am going to use. It can be tedious. Then if you want to fit parts together using different materials you can carve out an outline to fit the letters. In this case you would have to get rid of all inside and outside sharp corners, and create space between the insert from .01 to .015 so they will slide together smoothly into a socket without having to use a hammer, haha.
Try to design text that you can carve out with a 1/8 or bigger end mill. If you plan on cutting metal, it is a great idea to work on your end mill collection, and pick up all the Carbide 3D Single Flute end mills. They sell a 2mm single flute for super tight corners, I have used many times with great success.
I have successfully carved aluminum with a .7 mm end mill but the smaller you go the thinner the material has to be. I try to design using a 1/8" and nothing smaller to be able to cut up to 1/2" aluminum at a decent rate of speed.

Alternatively you create text and just run the tool paths, the inside corners will work themselves out Ha Ha… Simulate the operations in Manufacture tab, and set the view to see the model outline/edges. You can see the outline of your model and get an accurate representation of where the tool is going to reach before you start to cut.
Without a precision model taking into account for corner material removal that your tool can reach properly, it is very hard to make a accurate part that will fit another part.
I just happen to be working on a project with these issues, I included an example of letter edge design and insert gaps.

If you need any assistance just send me a message.
Good luck!

7 Likes

Thank you and I will take you up on your offer if I need help. Thanks Again!

J

1 Like

It would be really cool if others in the fusion 360 forum could share project files so we could all learn on how to setup projects on the XXL pro. Having the project files and looking at the sketch and CAM setups is priceless!

1 Like

Some of the community challenges entries include F360 files, and the rationale for asking for the files to be provided was exactly for that purpose.

4 Likes

I am also here to comment on that enclosure! I want one! :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

1 Like