Probing 3 axis with 201 end mill

Hello,
I noticed that depending on where the rotation of the 201 end mill is you would get a slightly different position when probing, if it touches between flute surfaces or directly on a flute edge.
Would it not be better to use a blank 1/4 end mill for precision when probing then re z with actual end mill you are planning on using?
Thank you
Blank

Sure! And you could wait until you accidently break the cutting end off of one and use that upside down in the collet.

Or, you could just say that unless you are trying to line something up to fit, a little bit of XY zero isn’t going to affect much.

2 Likes

I am trying to build things that fit together and attempting to adjust tolerances for paint thickness etc.

I have a (not this one but a similar one) 1/4" diameter chamfer bit that I use upside down. It’s useful for probing and chamfering.

Hi MadHatter,
Thank you, I ordered the blank with straight edges for 9 dollars. I am new to the game and was just struck as it was odd that I had not yet heard any mention of the random offset you will incur using a end mill for a zeroing tool.
Also wanted to make sure there was no reason not to use a blank…
My Carbide touch probe will end up with a lot less gouges in it ha ha…
Maybe some big dents though!

It’s not a gouge…

2 Likes

I use a 3mm gauge pin sometimes, as well as an old tool that was sharpened to a point (center is on within 5 microns), the endmill I will machine with, an edge finder, a contact sensor, and a few other things.

When machining, you are doing geometry. Geometry is geometry. Creativity is your friend.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.