Problem With program

I am having problem with a gcode program I am using. I am cutting out 4 pockets. I made it using Fusion 360. All of a sudden - at a random place in the program the z-axis starts plunging down at a slow rate until it crashes through the bottom of my part and in to the spoil board. I have run the program more than once and it seems to happen at a random place in the program. Once during the first pass during the first pocket, once during the second pocket. I ran the program once with no wood (dry run) and it worked as expected. This tells me is not the gcode but something with the machine. Can anyone help? I am happy to provide any information that may be useful to anyone here. This is my first experience with a Shapeoko although I did CNC work for a number of years a while back… I am at a loss and really discouraged. I also ran the .nc file through a simulator (outside and inside of F360) and it all seems as expected.

Are you certain that you have set the correct sort of Z-axis?

Could it be a mechanical problem such as the endmill getting pulled out of the collet? Or the machine getting pulled into the cut due to high tooling engagement?

Sounds like (99.99%) that you are pushing the machine too hard ad are missing steps. Depending on what Z drive you have it can be the weak-link here.

1 Like

I have a Shapeoko 4 XL if that helps. I am cutting walnut with a quarter inch end mill at quarter inch depth of cut at 24ipm.

It also happened once with mdf.

Since it didn’t do it with the test cut…it’s the Z. I hope it’s a single or two flute cutter. You stated 24 ipm…Z feed rate?

Now that you mention it it when I notice this happening I turn the machine off immediately. Both times the end mill has come out when I home it afterwards. This is perhaps a big oops on my part. Not tightening the end mill enough or perhaps I am going too fast? Or too aggressive on the depth?

2 flute end mill 18K Rpm

Sorry - 24ipm on x/y. Z is 13 but it is happening during the pocket portion - not during plunge.

Is this too aggressive in anyone’s experience? I am beginning to think I have under tightened my collet. And my endmill is coming lose.

The numbers (Z) look ok…but I still think it’s the Z (missing steps). Try changing the Z to 5 for testing.

1 Like

Thanks for the super fast feedback everyone. It’s communities like this that make these things so awesome. I will report back my findings so that there is resolution for any future readers.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.