Resolved: Project taking a while

So I can delete every line from 116 to 128691 inclusive?

Well, that was easier than I expected!

Thanks, @WillAdams

2 Likes

Just a question why is it taking so long to just make a new waste board?

1 Like

Hope your machine initializes the exact same z …
x and y wont matter so much for a wasteboard

And it’s a good question…

I’ve used a #201 to cut four t-track slots, mounting hole recesses and 165 holes for the threaded inserts, then a #102 to cut 32 holes for the t-track threaded insert holes.

Total time, two and a half hours-ish.

Of course, I now realise it was a stupid thought, leaving it in Pause mode - no action, no issues, right?

Wrong. The stepper motors are still energised and, doing nothing, will get warm and potentially overheat.

Lesson learned, without drama.

Thanks, guys :+1:

Recent discussion about that, not that I am taking any position on the matter:

1 Like

Of course, what a great idea! I thought thermal underwear would be enough :cold_face:

I thought it was my beer!

1 Like

OK, so I must have done something wrong when editing the file, because this happened:

…and, even though nothing had changed as far as the axes were concerned, there was a slight off-set from the original cut, making the ‘interference’ fit for the t-tracks into a ‘comfortable’ fit.

I do have an oil-filled radiator in the shed (an a dehumidifier), but it’s a cheap and nasty Homebase one, and the lead is just a bit too short, so I have to put it on a plinth! It’s time I bought a new one, though, because this one’s really old.

The thermal gear is in the wardrobe, ready for the winter!

1 Like

Good Question. I recently wrote 3 programs for a new XL user and they went: Drill (mill) holes 18min. C’Bore Holes: 12 min, Face Top: 22 min.

1 Like

Which is why I will NEVER recommend that a newbie cut/chop/edit a program… Do you know what Modal codes are?

Grab some of that freshly made sawdust, mix in some glue and patch that accidental cut in the new spoil board. As for the rest of the discussion I’m taking notes myself.

I have no clue, no.

I am a newbie who had to (try and) learn to do this late last night as it was recommended I didn’t leave the machine in ‘Pause’ mode overnight. I’ve never paid attention to gcode before then, other than to see what it looked like, never to edit it.

Perhaps now I will!

Really? Does that work for mdf? I was going to leave it “as is”, with the other ‘spurious’ cut that happened when I exported the gcode directly from CC into CM, and that went wrong!

I have the same DeLongi heater, but the version with knobs and the rotary timer. As you say, it’s excellent for a workshop.

I also have the same bench… yesterday I put a shelf in the bit with the sliding doors which made that area much more useful (for me).

1 Like

I didn’t dismantle the bench. I used a piece of offcut plywood as the shelf, roughly 70% of the depth of the cabinet, and screw/glued 20mm strips of pine around 3 of the edges of the shelf. Then I slid that through the doors and held it aloft with a couple of even bits of wood, then screwed the three bits of 20mm pine to the MDF front, back and sides… making sure that on the drawer side, the screw had no way of going all the way through.

Not the best job, but not totally Gerry-built either :wink:

edit: a photo to indicate of the lack of effort I applied in this modification:

2 Likes

Sorry about the wasteboard indecent Peter!
Hopefully @WillAdams or @fenrus will have a moment to look at this for you as both are super at the details explanation. You might also have another look at Will’s link to double check.
I’m not well versed, though I’ve paused as described and successfully continued previously.
And yes, the glue and sawdust trick does work to repair a cut in the wasteboard, guess how I know :wink: Not sure that’s been answered yet.

2 Likes

Are you calling my wasteboard indecent, Mike? :rofl: :rofl:

I’ve actually just completed the job now - not fixed the scar yet - but had to do it in fits and starts, because what was zero in one run, wasn’t the same zero (although it was close) in the next run, so I exported fresh G-Code files after removing the cuts already made to reduce time and not oversize any cuts already done.

I did try to do the trick with editing the original G-Code file, but must have made a mistake because that’s how I ended up with the scar in the first place. If nothing else, I will need to look at that in more detail, in case I need to edit the G-Code in future! I’ve bookmarked the link :thinking:

I thought the dust and glue story was a bit like going to the workshop storeman and asking for a left-handed hammer or a long weight. My apprenticeship was such fun!

I suppose it’s just a case of mixing a lot of sadust with a bit of woodglue?

One definite I’ve learned to day (I already knew this, but these last couple of days has confirmed it - I really don’t like cutting MDF!

Thanks, Mike :+1:

2 Likes

D’OH! Sometimes knowing too much about someone else’s wasteboard shouldn’t be public!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.