Questions before my machine arrives

What type and size or driver do I need for assembly? I have RA so I will use my small Dewalt hex driver.
Also what is the best way to attach and route (is that a pun??) the dust collection hose? And what diameter is the connection?

Thanks!!!

There are a couple of hex keys included — please don’t use power tools to assemble though — we use stainless hardware which is a bit soft, and the hardware is mostly going into aluminum which is easily stripped.

The dust hose is 2.5" — easiest thing to do is to route it up to the ceiling (I run it through a looped bungie cord).

1 Like

Ditto on the bungie cord.

Using a Shapeoko creates a surprising amount of chips and just about any shopvac will quickly become full and experience reduced suction due to clogged filters. I use a cyclone separator on mine that has a separator which sits on top of a plastic five gallon bucket; the tube from the router goes in one port on the top, and a separate tube goes from another port to my shop vac.

This cuts down the amount of material that ends up in my shop vac to almost nothing; basically just dust, and the vast majority of the wood chips end up in the bucket which can be dumped every couple of hours. Reduces the amount of clogging in the shopvac filter to almost none. I highly recommend this as one of the first accessories you buy. Don’t remember the price brand of mine. I found mine on Amazon though.

2 Likes

Oniedia and others make cyclone separaters to keep your shop vac running at high efficiency. You could put a 5 gallon bucket inder the seperator or make a lid for a bigger container. This makes your shopvac a 2stage dust collector.

1 Like

I have a set of t-handle hex wrenches as well as a magnetic screwdriver style handle with a magnetic driver that allows me to swap out the tips. The single part I use a power tool on is installing the hybrid bed extrusions and MDF. I start each bolt, then get out the drill and set it to the lowest torque that the clutch has. That means I can’t strip out the threads. :slight_smile:

On the SO5 Pro 4x4 there is 48 bolts for the MDF slats. And each one of those has one on either side under them to bolt the hybrid extrusions to the base extrusions of it’s like the SO4/SO4Pro. So that is 144 bolts I’d rather not run by hand if I can. :smiley: But again, I start them by hand first so they can’t cross-thread, then set the clutch on the drill to “1” on the dial so I can’t strip the threads.

I just used a nice ratcheting driver:

1 Like

As you have rheumatoid arthritis, I would compromise with your power driver set at a low torque setting, and then do a final torque manually.

1 Like

I just received mine a week ago and everything needed to build it was in the box. Carbide really exceeded my expectations on this! You won’t want to use power tools as stated prior.

3 Likes

Thanks Steve! Do you know the actual hex sizes?
I may just order a set of hew drive metric. I assume they are metric!

Thanks all for the input!
I do have a small hand held driver that is awesome for small or delicate work.
Machine shipped today! Off to build a rolling stand before it arrives

1 Like

Yes, they are metric. a basic set from 2mm (pulley set screws on an SO4 or Pro) to 5mm (shoulder bolts) should work.

2 Likes

If you want a set of metric allen wrenches get a name brand like Wera or other name brand. Stay away from Harbor Freight Pittsburg allen wrenches. Those are so soft that when cutting warm butter with them the butter wins.

Ball nose ones are nice but can also be problematic. The angles you try can strip soft headed bolts. Straight ones will work fine on a Shapeoko.

2 Likes

Thanks all for the info!
Machine arrives Friday and I have the rolling cabinet ready with the torsion box top 80%. All will be ready I hope!
sdevore - Have you had a chance to do a project yet?

1 Like

Hi @Divchief07, yes I have been so busy making projects (and mistakes) that between my job and my work shop my wife is wondering if I’ll ever come home!

If I can figure out how to post a picture I’ll share a project you might like. Otherwise I have posted several of them here; Redirecting...

1 Like

Beautiful work, Sean. A CNC will be a great addition to the type of work you do. When you have time take a look at cob led lights. They have a softer, fuller glow, more like a neon sign. You can also get RGB that can change color.

1 Like

Thank you, I am always looking for new or better lighting. These lights are capable of being poured into the acrylic is the only reason why I use them, oh and they are cheap!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.