Questions on Making a Wasteboard

So I have been using double sided tape to hold my items down and it has worked relatively well except when I cut through the material and tape gets stuck on the bit :confused: I have been reading posts and the Wiki on wasteboards with threaded inserts and T nuts. Seems theres are a lot of different designs. I think I want to go with 1/2 inch mdf with T nuts. I have plenty of MDF (Home Depot had 4’x4’ 1/2" sheets for $5.) Then attach that 1/2 on top of the Shapeoko 3 wasteboard.

So good so far? Recommended grid for T nuts? Do I have to sink the t nuts in from the bottom or just mill a hole?

I drew up a fancy circular grid w/ phi (more-or-less) spacing, so as to not use so many T-nuts which locally were quite pricey (order in bulk from a fastener specialty shop).

You need to drill a hole, and a countersink for each T-nut, for what will be the bottom.

Your grid would depend on what you intend on milling. I have a grid with holes/threaded inserts every 1 1/2". It is very useful, however it is more threaded holes than I may ever need.

I use the threaded inserts, found 100 1/4"-20 on Amazon for under $8, requires a 9mm hole.

I am recreating my waste board for the XXL upgrade, will post photos when done.

@lewscrew any reason you went with threaded inserts and not t nuts? I think I can spread them out more than 1.5 inches

@WillAdams can i do the holes and countersinks on the shapeoko?

Still learning, thanks for the continued help/advice

IMO T-nuts were a pain to install. I used them on one version of waste board and wasn’t satisfied with them.

Haven’t had any issues with my threaded inserts, I used 3/4" MDF for my wasteboard. If I goober one up I can just remove and replace it from the top.

I also have a grid reference and locating pins so accuracy is critical to my setup for my operations. If I need to remove the waste board and reinstall, then I lose my reference.

Disclaimer- I have homing switches and use WCS - Work Coordinate Systems.

funcuntionality wise, t nut and threaded inserts accomplish the same thing right? Maybe I am leaning towards inserts now, ugh, The more I read the more undecided I get.

Yes.

http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Shapeoko_3#Wasteboard_2

Links to: http://www.shapeoko.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=6045&p=48138 where I show bootstrapping everything.

I was using threaded inserts but over tightened a couple which pulled through the waste board causing the MDF to mushroom upwards. Once that happens it throws the board out of level. I am in the process of installing t-nuts from underneath the board now. I also started using carpet tape to hold the work piece which seems to work well when not cutting through the piece. I have the blue wax which holds as good as anything but is kind of messy and stains anything it is melted to including your waste board. Still a noob and working through all the little problems but getting there.

Bill

What size were the threaded inserts?

I use 13mm 1/4"-20 Threaded insert install from underneath for the SO3 original (not) waste board 100mm apart. Then I have 3/4" MDF Waste board with 50mm hole apart all over and also installed from underneath. I also have duplicate 100mm apart hole that match the (not) waste board threaded insert below. I mount the waste board to the (not} waste board with 16 screws. I mount all thread insert from underneath so there is no chance that it will pull through.

@eefits that’s sounds pretty nice setup. Any pics of it?

The same as Larry is using Alex. My mistake was not mounting them from underneath the board.

Bill

Well I’m buying a new wasteboard tomorrow so i’ll keep that in mind.

@lost57 here is my setup.

@eefits very nice. I am gonna do something similar I believe. Thanks for sharing. What is the distance between holes?

@lost57 They are 50mm and I skip a column in the middle that I shouldn’t have.

I am going to make simple clamps from plywood with slots. What length screw/bolt should I get to go into the top nut/threaded insert?

I have screw from 1 to 31/2 `inches in 1/2 inch increment. Screw length depended on what and how you mount your piece.

Thanks that will give me an idea what to pickup at store tomorrow.