Raising the work piece

Has anyone used parallels to sit on the waste board to raise the work piece so when contours are done it doesn’t cut into waste board

1 Like

Yes, those or a supplemental spoilboard.

1 Like

For my projects, I often use railroad board (basically, thick cardstock) under the work as a sacrificial matte. Or for projects where I want more play, I’ll use hardboard (i.e. HDF, High-Density Fiberboard) instead.

I’ve been scolded and told that the wasteboard is supposed to be cut into, not preserved. I reject that as oversimplification. I do consider my wasteboard setup a wear item that I can fairly easily replace, but using a cheap and easy dimensionally-consistent sacrificial layer greatly extends my wasteboard time between surfacing or replacement.

That’s not to say everything is perfect. The tape-and-superglue method of workholding is not available when using railroad board, for example. I imagine it’s probably not the most appropriate approach for projects that have you making shiny chips and saying “thou” a lot. Still, it’s another approach that can be useful, at least for some people and projects.

3 Likes

This is what i was thinking

2 Likes

That would work.
Supporting it well enough to ensure sag or tool pressure doesn’t impact ability to cut clean through.

Just came across and added this to the wiki:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Tooling/SoftParallels/softparallels.html

1 Like

I keep a bunch of squares of tempered HDF (about 1 inch square) around for exactly this. Then if I cut into them (which sometimes happens) they are super cheap and I don’t care. I can cut them as needed to fit the project when I need to, a little here, a little there, and they don’t compress…

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.