Re-zeroing on subsequent toolpaths

Hi all, I’m new to this. I’m using Vcarve Desktop to make a wavy flag. I’ve broken down the two toolpaths (rough out and finish) into separate files. I run the rough out file and then I zero carbide motion again for the finish toolpath file.

First, I was thinking that Vcarve won’t run more than 1 toolpath in carbide motion at a time. That’s why I have it broken down into 2 toolpath files. Not sure where I got that, but does anyone have experience with that?

Second, do I need to zero the axis’ again when running the second toolpath, or does carbide motion remember the values from the previous file run?

If this makes any sense, could someone kindly advise?

Thanks!

Jeff

unless you have a bitsetter, you will need to re-set the Z axis.

but you don’t need to change X or Y zero, unless you end up using so much force during the bit change that the carriage moves…

3 Likes

Are you changing bits, @MakerJeff?

Yes sir I am, going from 1/4 downcut for the roughing, to a 1/32 downcut for the finish pass.

Then you’re going to have to re-zero “Z” after each bit change (as @fenrus said above, unless you have a bitsetter).

If you don’t have the bitsetter, I’d recommend it. To me, it’s the best accessory I added to my Shapeoko - in terms of saving time and making file management easier, etc. (all of the toolpaths stay in one file), not to mention accuracy.

4 Likes

Multiple toolpaths (eg: roughing and finish) in one file is not a problem. You have have hundreds of toolpaths in one file and Carbide Motion will run them. So long as they all use the same tool.

Multiple tools (eg: a 1/8" endmill followed by a Vbit) in one file are a problem unless - as the others have mentioned - you have a BitSetter.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.