Reading metric instead of inches

Need solutions to what might be a simple fix. I’m using VCarve Pro, I designed my sign in inches and saved toolpath with g code. When I load it in CM, CM reads it in metrics and my sign cuts out small. What am I doing wrong?

VCarve: saved g code in inches

Im not sure what the problem is, but a program i’ve used in the past did not insert the G20 in the beginning of the text file, so I would have do that myself by opening in notepad, and then choose “save as”, so the original doesn’t get deleted, just to be on the safe side.
CM is natively metric, if there is no G20 for Imperial units.

1 Like

Wow! Thanks JDG3.

I will look into that and see if the issue is similar!

1 Like

How small, is small? I do the same thing and my stuff does not come out small.

The circumference of the sign was 25” and when I cut out I could barely see it, like a small dot.

I spoke with someone from Shapeoko and he stated something about the post processor on vectric. So, I’ll look into that next.

Figured it out with the assistance from Will at Shapeoko! Thanks A lot! #PostProcessorInstallForShapeoko

Can you post the solution? I’m getting ready to do something with Vcarve in Metric, so it would be nice to know if there is something I need to do. Thanks!

Vectric has included a “post-processor” for the Shapeoko (a pair of them actually, one for Imperial measure, one for metric) since v8.5 — please let us know if you have any difficulties accessing them. Their “install” procedure is to move the one you want to move into a specific directory and then that one will be used and the others ignored:

“C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Desktop\V9.0\PostP\Shapeoko_inch.pp”
​"C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Desktop\V9.0\PostP\Shapeoko_mm.pp"
​​copy whichever of those you would prefer to use into
​​C:\ProgramData\Vectric\VCarve Desktop\V9.0\My_PostP
and then it’ll be the only one you see.

The community has some notes on this as well: https://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/Commercial_Software#2.5D_CAM as well as links to community-maintained post-processors which have some nifty features.

2 Likes

Will, Thanks for the quick response…but take the night off! It’s a holiday!!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.