Real World Measurements Incorrect

Hi All,

Recently, I designed and cut out some parts for a clock face frame. The original drawing was made in Vectorworks, then exported as a DXF file to Inkscape, where it was converted to an SVG file. It opened up perfectly in Carbide Create (after much trial and error and that long process). The piece had an overall length of 4.5". This dimension held up through all of the conversion and I could see it in CC when I checked the size of the piece through the scaling tool (why isn’t there a measuring tape in CC?)

I used my probe to set to set X,Y and Z on my stock. I used a 1/8 spiral upcut bit. Another question here: why are there very few tools you can choose in the probe set-up in Carbide Motion?

Anyway, when I cut it on my Shapeoko, the piece was cut to 4 3/8". Somehow my Shapeoko is not cutting the correct length. Another thing that came up, was that when I just tried to cut a simple circle out of a 10" board. I used the centering tools in Carbide Create to center it to the stock, but the circle was cut out about 1/16" of an inch off center.

How can I fix this?

Thanks,

Philip

1 Like

Did you cut on the line instead of outside? That would give you exactly 1/8 difference.

2 Likes

Hi Luc,

I used outside/right to cut, so it wasn’t that.

Did you have your probe set for 1/4in endmill instead of 1/8?

It was set for 1/8. I made about 10 tries, changing everything I could think of.

Hi Arjun,

Thank for that. That’s a a very in-depth document. I’ll have to spend some time studying that before I actually try. What’s surprising to me is that is exactly 1/8" of an inch off. That does not seem like a resolution error.

2 Likes

yeah the cheap thing to try is do a 1" distance and say a 3" distance
if the deviation scales with distance it’s a calibration thing

if it’s the same then it might be a toolpath issue

2 Likes

What makes me suspicious is that the error is 1/8in, the EM is 1/8 so I’m wondering if the two are related. A stretch belt error would normally not be a convenient distance.

3 Likes

I’ll try that, thanks. I won’t be at the machine until the weekend. I’ll keep you posted.

I’ll try running some simpler tests and see what I can find out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.