Reduce Number of Tool Measurements?

Hello,

I make the same part repeatedly with a single end mill. I make one part at a time, then reload the stock, and then run the program again in Carbide Motion. However, each time I do this, the machine asks to do a tool measurement again, even though it’s the same tool and it’s not been adjusted. Is it possible to let my Nomad know that it doesn’t need to do a tool measurement again?

Thank You

The only way to stop this is to uncheck the BitSetter in CM. On CM after unchecking BitSetter I have to turn my Shapeoko off and reinitialize otherwise my machine cuts an air job. So turn BitSetter off, use your BitZero to set zeros after turning off and reinitialize Shapeoko. Set zeros and at the end of each piece the router will return to the back. Just put your stock back in position and hit Start Job. This saves the time of loading the bit and going to the BitSetter over and over. As far as I know this is the only way to stop the wasted trips to the BitSetter.

Edit:. Sorry totally missed it was a Nomad. My bad.

1 Like

If it’s a single tool job, turn off the bitsetter BEFORE you initialize & load the program. If you are setting zero with that bit, you don’t need to measure the bit. You only need to measure it if you’re changing bits so the 2nd bit can be compared to the 1st.

Reduce your tool measurements to 0 :wink: Can’t get any better than that :smiley:

@gdon_2003 and @Tod1d’s answers are correct for a Shapeoko, but I understand the OP works on a Nomad (which does not have a BitSetter, it has the integrated tool length sensor, it is functionally equivalent but its use is baked into the CM workflow for Nomad)

As far as I know on a Nomad, the only way to force skipping the tool change is to manually edit out the M6 line in the gcode file, see:

4 Likes

Can confirm, removing the M6 is how I handle it as well. You better be absolutely sure you want that behavior though, it removes a safety net that might save you a tool and some scrapped material someday.

I am waiting for the day that I go back to an old file where I’ve removed the m6. Instead just exploding my poor .5mm end mill because the program expects a 3mm. I’ll have no one to blame by myself.

(TLDR: maybe rename your files to “some-file-no-m6” if you go this route :wink:)

6 Likes

Hello,

Removing the M6 worked.

Thanks!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.