Replacing Carbide Motion Board With Duet3 6HC

I think I am going to make a GitHub with my configs so others can easy set this up if they like. I got the BitZero Macro put together so I just need to get BitSetter going.

If you already answered this I apologize, but I want to check the setup of the Duet.

Will the Duet have a typical LCD screen they sell and are you going to run your G-Code through a Micro SD card? Then within the Duet Macro’s through the LCD you will have your macros? And if needed you can jog/etc through the web interface? Just curious to see if this can replace the computer/screen that I use right now, and if it helps/prevents EMI.

No. I am running my Duet 3 6HC in SBC mode. It has a Pi4 attached to it via a ribbon cable and they communicate over an SPI bus. I have a touch screen on the Pi4. The Pi4 is running their DuetPi distro which launches their web interface which is what I will be controlling it with. It also has an Samba share running on it that I have mounted on my PC as a network drive for putting my Gcode files in.

They have a Beta version of the web interface that is designed specifically for CNC work. They will probably later make it a toggleable option in the main version. Both versions though have Jog controls built right in.

As for EMI the designer of the Duet takes great care to minimize the impact of EMI on the system. The cheap knock off versions are not as great at handling it though.

If you want though you can definitely run the Duet in stand alone mode (ie without the Pi) and use their LCD to control it and load Gcode via the SD Card. Even in standalone mode it has their web interface so you can upload files to it via the web interface. The 6HC only has Ethernet connectivity though. The Duet 3 mini 5+ however comes in a WiFi variant. This is because it does not have SBC mode. One of those should work no problem for a Shapeoko. I just wanted the addition functionality the 6HC offers.

1 Like

Looks like RepRapFirmware (what the Duet runs) does not like the way Carbide Create does tool Changes. M0 commands end all job processing. So M0 ;T102 does not prompt the user to load a new tool. Instead it just shuts the whole job down which is apparently what the NIST standard says to do.

EDIT: Apparently Carbide 3D only exports the M0 ;T102 type tool changes when exporting with Basic G-Code or GRBL set as the post processor. The Shapeoko Post Processor spits out M6 commands.

1 Like

Something you might be interested in. RepRapFirmware has support for logging Accelerometer data and displaying it in their web interface. This is used to find ringing frequencies for input shaping.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.