Replacing the motor on a 2016 Nomad Pro

The motor in my Nomad Pro needs replacement. I was wondering if the motor can be obtained from different sources. From reading in this forum and checking the external dimensions, the motor seems to be a 42BLF02. However, when I check the specs on the Internet, that model seems to do 4000 RPM max, while the motor on the Nomad can do 10000 RPM. So I am not sure the motors are the same.

Any pointers are welcome, thanks.

I believe the Nomad increases the higher spindle speed using the mechanical advantage of the larger pulley on the motor turning the smaller motor on the spindle mechanism.

Please check in w/ support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to assist.

I had already contacted support and even sent a video of my problem, which I hoped would allow them to diagnose the problem and propose a solution quickly. But we have been just emailing in 24 hr intervals and I feel I am not getting the answers I am looking for. It can be my fault for not asking my questions properly though.

Thanks. We will get to your e-mail and get this sorted out as quickly as we can.

The belt and pulleys between the motor and the spindle have a 1:2.5 gear ratio, so the motor speed is multiplied by 2.5, to give you 10k RPM.

It can be, if you put the model number into Google a few come up.

The difficulty would be in installing it. The motors you buy elsewhere won’t have the connector Carbide 3D uses, so in addition to routing the cable through the drag chain (which you have to do anyway), you’ll have to buy the right connector and crimp terminals, as well as a crimping tool, in order to put the correct connector on the end of the cable.

I’d keep working with the Carbide 3D folks because if they can send you a new motor, it’ll be a lot less painful than if you have to buy one and install it yourself.

1 Like

Blockquote
The belt and pulleys between the motor and the spindle have a 1:2.5 gear ratio, so the motor speed is multiplied by 2.5, to give you 10k RPM.

I missed that basic engineering fact.

Thank you Lucas for your detailed answer. I will wait for feedback from support.

I finally got the motor from Carbide3D, a 4BLF03-X(920). The original motor is an F02 I think. The new motor has 3 cables only while the original has six. Will this new motor work?

1 Like

Presumably you got the motor by talking to Carbide 3D support, I suggest you keep talking to them.

I don’t imagine they’d send you a motor that won’t work but if they did, the question would be better directed to them, because they’re in a position to fix the problem if there is one.

FWIW, the motor on my Nomad 883 Pro only has 3 wires, which is standard for a BLDC motor.

1 Like

I contact support before the forum. No offense to Carbide 3D support, but I seem to get quicker and better answers from the forum. The person I am talking to apparently does not even know that to loosen the motor a 2.5 mm and a 1.5 mm Allen keys are necessary. I learned that from the forum and I had to order those tools because I did not have them.

In any case, I will wait for their feedback. They requested a picture of the motors and I sent it.

I agree that support isn’t the best but when it comes to replacement parts, they do get there in the end.

Did you ask and they didn’t know or did they just not volunteer the information? If it’s the latter, it’s fairly normal to have hex wrenches or a screwdriver set laying around the standard tinkerer’s workspace.

Again, they don’t blow me away with their amazing helpfulness but be patient with them and they’ll sort you out eventually.

Did you ask and they didn’t know or did they just not volunteer the information? If it’s the latter, it’s fairly normal to have hex wrenches or a screwdriver set laying around the standard tinkerer’s workspace

They gave me the wrong information. Initially 5mm and then 2.5mm. You need 2.5mm for the motor and 1.5mm for the pulley. I guess I am not the standard tinkerer, I had to order those tools.

…be patient with them and they’ll sort you out eventually.

Amen

These are pictures of both motors that I sent to support:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.