Request Auto Squaring for the HDM

Well it looks like my long term solution is going to be replacing the Warthog with a Masso controller I believe.

2 Likes

For a while I was noodling with setting up some optical switches on the front of the Y axes on my XXL. I was thinking of just having them control LEDs so that I could rapid forward and then slow-jog until I hit the beam-break and check if the two axes were still close enough to in sync. That would at least allow you to check if you needed to re-square as opposed to having to re-square just in case every time.

In the end I did something much simpler about manual squaring on startup but that’s not really viable on a ballscrew machine.

1 Like

How about future HDM use dual shaft steppers with a stub shaft and a 8mm thick hex on the back where a hand crank can be placed for manual cranking of the axis ball screw? This won’t change your pallet shipping and is fairly cheap. Although I hope the electronics are upgraded as well. I’d love to have an active probe with advanced probing in the future.

@DiscoJon Masso is a great upgrade but is not a simple or cheap addition although in my ATC future it might be my go to choice but that is a long way off.

2 Likes

I was also thinking about the dual shaft steppers to allow for a manual crank. If I ever get my HDM I’ll look into adding a manual crank to the ball screws. From what I’ve researched, the Masso should be pretty straight forward. Especially if you switch from steppers to their servo’s. Whats the difficulty you mention?

1 Like

I use glancing homing/limit switches on my non GRBL machines. Never paid much mind to their physical position/trigger, the controllers allow you to dial in the details. Regarding difficulty, using a different controller, probably little to none. If you run servo’s, probably little need to have auto squaring functionality.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.