Rerunning program

I’ve written gcode to flatten stock.

First of all, I don’t want the shapeoko to re-zero my bit every time I re-run it. Do I just disable the bit-setter?

Secondly, if the stock has not cleaned up I would like to lower my Z depth by a small amount and re-run. I only position the new Z depth once and then go into G91 so it’s all relative from there. Once I edit the new Z-depth, I have to ‘reload’ the file again into CM, correct?

Thanks everyone in this community. You’ve been a great resource.

Yes

You don’t need to. You can just lower your Z zero a notch and then rerun

2 Likes

You don’t want to do that. You’re gcode is in absolute.
Every move will be relative to the current position.

For example, if you were at X0 and wanted to move to X200, the gcode would be
G1X200
If your program was to have it move another mm to the right out would send
X201

If you change the motion modal to relative, that second command will move 201mm FROM X200 to X401.

Unless the post processor was set for relative commands, you’ll be in for a mess.

As @Julien said, set your Z-zero lower and run the job again.

3 Likes

Wouldn’t you also need to reset the Z zero, Julien?

1 Like

This is what I meant by “lower your Z zero”, but it’s better to explicitly state to lower Z and reset Z0 there, indeed.

2 Likes

When I surface something I usually take a 0.010 single pass. If not level I move the z axis off the material and move the z to zero and move down 0.010 and rezero z and start again. I put pencil lines all over the surface so I can tell when the material is flat because the pencil lines are gone. Rinse and repeat as necessary.

Roger the bit setter and D’OH!! to the Z offset. I knew better. Just had my head up my woohoo. Thank you!

I wanted to go into the G91 so I could cut-n-paste to get me over the part. I’ve programmed controllers before where I could do a while loop of n>x and keep the code simple for something like flattening. Thank you,

Great advice, the marking. I was going to do .025, but may be more conservative to the 0.010. Thank you

Sorry guys, I thought I was replying to each advice. Looks like it put everything after. I appreciate all the advice. This group has been great.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.