Return of "cannot connect" at an inconvenient timet

For years I couldn’t use Motion because it always got the “cannot connect” error and even though Will and/or support tried to help, it was not to be. Then my refurb PC died and I got an openbox new HP at Bestbuy and when I installed Motion it worked. I never used it for production but it did talk to my machine at least.

As the last stage of the HDX upgrade the instructions say I need to update the firmware(?) using Motion. The installed version connected but since there was a newer version of Motion available I went ahead and “upgraded” it before proceeding. Of course the new install broke Create and I am back to “cannot connect” status. Rebooted. Same.

Windows 10 on a 1 year old HP desktop. This is a Sparkfun/Shapeoko machine upgraded to XL and then upgraded to new GRBL 1.1f using the Carbide upgrade program. My beloved UGS attaches just fine and I can jog around normally (even with Z axis although I am going to have to reverse direction).

Questions are:

1. Do I really need to do anything? I am afraid to do a $H(ome) given the warnings.

2. Is there a way to do the necessary HDZ updates via other means (command line, other software)? Is it just some $ commands?

3. Is there a way to fix Motion (although this is a low priority for me)

More data. I had the previous version so I uninstalled and then reinstalled 416.

4.0.428 – will not connect
4.0.416 – connects but has no HDX checkbox on the Settings page

To clarify, by “Create” I think you’re talking about Carbide Motion?

What warnings?

Yup. What’s your current $3 setting? That will be what impacts the direction of your Z.
Your $102 should be $102 = 320

2 Likes

Thanks I know how to reverse direction. The warning is in the HDZ assembly where it warns that the controller needs to be updated before homing a new HDZ. Since Motion cant do this update I need to do it manually to use my new $400 hardware.

I think I’ll go search the Beaver directions for clues

So motion aside the Beaver directions have a detailed section on GRBL settings from the console

1 Like

For anybody in the same boat the Beaver stuff is still online:
https://www.beavercnc.co.uk/post/2018/07/15/the-beaver-cnc-hdz-instructions

2 Likes