Rewiring the BitRunner

If I can find a competent electrical engineer to do it, is there any reason I can’t change the lumbering big mains out cable from the BitSetter to a more ‘flexible’ cable? Also, to make it a little longer and replace the US outlet.

I (think I) understand the cable is so thick because US voltate is low, making the current drawn quite a bit higher, but as I’ll be using it in the UK, this shouldn’t be a problem, should it?

Thanks.

Do you mean BitRunner?

Reasons not to do this:

• voids the warranty
  • electrical issues could result in a fire

Why not just plug it into an extension cord w/ adapter of equivalent (or better still thicker) gauge wire?

Personally, I think the travel type adapters are more of a spark and fire risk than chopping off the existing US plug and wiring it with a standard UK plug - which if you’ve never seen one is a superbly designed bit of kit wrt wiring isolation, and even has its own fuse in it.

2 Likes

Why not use a better adapter than a travel-type — are they not available?

I found one for the other way in the course of setting up my Mafell Quick Change Spindle — just waiting on the latter to arrive and see if everything will work when all plugged together.

Yes, sorry :upside_down_face:

I’m not a fan of adapters, preferring to limit the number of ‘connections’ where possible. At the moment I’ve got the router plugged into a travel adapter plugged into the outlet from the BitRunner.

I did look change the plug on the router to a US type, but they’re not that common over here and, as @Gerry pointed out, they don’t have fuses. Also, it’s a moulded plug - and cutting it off will definitely void the warranty.

I suppose another option would be to cut off the moulded US outlet and connect a single, trailing lead socket, but the cable out from the BitRunner is very short (bad design!) so I would need to use a junction box to extend the cable, or replace the cable all together.

13A cable is plenty for the UK - there aren’t any plug-in, mains electrical devices in the UK that exceed this. My Makita router is rated at 710W, so that’s only 3A at UK voltage (by my calculations, it would be 6.5A in the US?)

As far as the warranty’s concerned, I’ve already replaced the moulded US plug for a UK one, so that might be a moot point, anyway :thinking:

1 Like

Is the BitRunner even rated for the 230V in the UK?

The v1 is — I think that there’s a need to specify 220V when placing the order though.

It is, according to @Jorge, yes.

This has been a bit quiet, so apologies for the ‘bump’, but are there any other thoughts about replacing the cable from the board, please?

Thanks

I did this on an early version Jorge shipped me. It’s easily doable but you do need the correct version of the BitRunner

1 Like

Ah. How do I find out which version I’ve got, apart from being v1, I mean?

Thanks, @Luke

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.