Rotating axis on Shapeoko CNC XXL Router

Is it possible to add 4th Rotating axis on [Shapeoko CNC XXL Router] as I have 3/4" PVC pipe to be drill with multiple holes.
How can I do that?

pc-22-inch (1).PDF (472.5 KB)

Can I use a 4th axis? - Carbide 3D

(https://www.reddit.com/r/hobbycnc/comments/nnq62l/4th_axis_running_on_a_shapeoko/)

The official answer is NO. The C3D controller does not have the drivers for the 4th axis. However there are many 3rd party controllers you can replace the Shapeoko one with. The OpenBuilds Black box is one and they have a gcode sender for their controller.

There are other 3rd party controllers out there. The reason I suggest the Black Box is I used to have a Shark and the controller was horrible. So I investigated getting a 3rd Party controller. I just sold the Shark and got the Shapeoko. The 4th axis could be useful but I just have no use for it right now.

If this is a ‘one off’ I would make a fixture that allows me to manually rotate the part 25°.
If it’s something you can use more, I would make a manual indexing rotary axis, with maybe a vernier scale on one end. Something like a simple lathe spindle & tailstock that bolts to your table.

Something as simple as this, where you can layout the angles on the pipe & line them up with the index line on the fixture.

Yes,Thanks Tod,
I am going to try with a manual Lathe Handwheel

1 Like

That won’t get you a 4th axis.
I’m with @Tod1d, make a big to rotate manually.

@neilferreri I am curious why the Black Box wont work. The openbuilds site says it has 4 axis. I have not used it but curious.

The black box runs Grbl on the same chipset as the carbide boards. It’s a 3 axis firmware with four drivers, just like most Grbl boards. The 4th driver is just for dual steppers on X, Y, or Z.
When you see Grbl 4th axis setups, they are usually replacing the X or Y axis with a rotary axis. You’d have to lock your x-axis in place, and connect the driver to your rotary axis. Effectively mapping the X to the rotation.

I’d like to see Carbide 3d be the first to adopt a beyond Grbl controller (open source).

2 Likes

If you want a true rotary axis, and keep your XYYZ setup, you have to switch both controller PCB and switch firmware from GRBL to GRBL HAL or GRBL MEGA 5X. I have tried both, and have settled on GRBL HAL on a Teensy 4.1 PCB with a breakout board. External H-Drivers for the steppers allowed me to up the current and thus switch to higher torque NEMA-23 stepper motors.
You also have to consider how you will create your rotary gcode files. Vectrics does this well in VCarve and VCarve Pro. Fusion 360 also does it, but you have to take the paid version to get this. Will depend on what work you want to do.
My 4th axis is running well, has a ‘homing sensor’ now too. Teensy 4.1, GRBL HAL, Vectrics VCarve Pro.
Message me if you want any specific details. I think there is a thread somewhere here on the forum that shows what I did and broadly what/how.

1 Like

Thanks, Andy and all,
I am thinking to get my job done with the other CNC Router owner, who has a spare capacity for job work.
If anyone is interested to do drilling on my PVC pipe, I will accept the best quote.

Mist Cooling Inc 832-588-6512

How many do you need? And are there any other design specifications other than what’s on the drawing? (tolerances, finish requirements,…)

Also, what grade of PVC are you using. Those dimensions aren’t lining up with any stock I see.
Schedule 40, Schedule 80, SDR-21 ?? Is there a pressure requirement?

3/4inch schedule 40 Pipe will be supply by us in 22inch cut length with one sample, its a open tolerance having 1/16inch drill to be used for multiple drilling, not a precision tolerance, but burr free holes needed.

Send your quote

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.