Router Is a Screamer

Just tried out my Shapeoko Pro for the first time. Great machine but…when I run the router at full speed it sounds like a screaming banshee. My old Makita router was so much quieter. Time to go back to using ear protection.

Even with a quiet machine one should still wear hearing protection unless one has an enclosure which is incredibly effective.

If the bearings seem to be an issue, let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to get them sorted out.

1 Like

Also, I never run my Makita router at it’s maximum RPM. If you have not, I would spend some time learning about speeds/feeds.

1 Like

So every job is different but my Dewalt seldom is run at more than 3 on the speed dial and a lot of times at 2. But I do mostly cut wood so you have not said what you are cutting to have your RPM up all the way.

2 Likes

I wasn’t cutting anything, just checking out the router. :slight_smile:

Unless you are running insane feeds you will never need to run it full blast. Most carbide end mills are happy below 24k rpm unless you drop big money on a highly balanced Datron or other high end mill.

If you have the room and can build an enclosure it’s a good idea to do so. look at others setups and build what suits your needs best and always use hearing protection. I have tinnitus and can tell you first hand it will drive you mad so protect your hearing.

2 Likes

I’m still not happy with the carbide 3d router. Still very noisy and sounds like the bearings are rattling. Plus the speed seems to vary while running even without a load. Think i’m just going to purchase a Makita RT701C router and replace it. I can cut the power cord to the router near the mount and install a plug and socket so i can just plug the router in without having to take all the drag chains off and restring the power cord. This will also make it simple if i ever have to replace or remove the router.

2 Likes

Think ill try these lighting disconnect connectors I have, then i can just unplug the router when needed…

1 Like