Running Under Linux with a Virtual Machine

Thanks, Will.

Not to beat a dead horse, but moving to another compiler seems straight forward. However, since you say it is problematic, I’ll take it a face value and move on. My question was of curiosity not impactful on my computer/software planning anyway.

Be safe,

Allen

It’s not just the new compiler (where the compiler vendor will no longer support Win7) but the whole build & test chain that presents the issue. To keep building the software for Win7 on the old compiler in parallel with the new compiler means maintaining basically a full duplicate of the build & test chain and running that for every code check-in. That’s quite a substantial overhead, basically doubling the work for the build & test team for a platform that’s no longer supported by the vendor. There will also not be support available for the compiler or test tools for Win7 by those vendors either now or very soon so when the inevitable problems occur fixing them becomes very time consuming and expensive, if it’s even possible.

2 Likes

Liam,

Thanks for the details about the compiler. I’ve never done production coding, just while I was in graduate school doing one-off software for statistical analysis for faculty and students at the University of Georgia [go Dawgs]. I was not aware of the intricacies of check-in and compiling. Now I have a good idea of the problem. Much appreciated.

Allen

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.