Saving g code Basic or GRBL

I just downloaded CC into a new laptop after a catastrophic failure of my last one. I created a new project today and when I went to save the G code to a thumb drive I was asked if I wanted to save it as a Basic G Code or a GRBL.

I saved it as a Basic G Code and won’t be able to run the program until tomorrow.

Was this the correct decision?
Thanks
Bill

I’m confused. You got this prompt while using the “Save G-code” button for the first time ?

“Basic G-code”, “GRBL”, and “Carbide3D Shapeoko3” (and a few others) are names of the available post-processors in CC, accessible under Edit/Select Post Processor. If you have the Shapeoko the correct post processor is “Carbide3D Shapeoko”, so I suggest you explictly select that (in Edit/Select Post Processor menu), and then Save G-code (again) for your project before running it.

1 Like

Julian
I got the message while saving it to a thumb drive, something that I have never tried before. I just tried it again and did not get a similar message. I compared the file details between the thumb drive and another copy on the desktop and they appear the same.
Learning curve being exceeded
Thanks
Bill

I suspect it has nothing to do with the thumbdrive, but occurs on the very first use of “save G code” on a fresh install on a new computer when no post processor has ever been selected, and then you would not get it again afterwards.
I still suggest you double-check which post processor is now selected in the Edit menu, it needs to be Carbide3d shapeoko. The Gcode output is not the same if “Basic G code” or “GRBL” is selected and it won’t work well in Carbide Motion then

1 Like

Got it! That makes sense.

Thanks

Bill

You want to select the type of machine you have. Generic gcode or grbl will work but might be missing some m or g commands a Shapeoko or Nomad would work better with.

1 Like

Thanks
I was told that it might be because of a new app download. I will try it out on Saturday and report back