Segmented Bowls

Hello,

I am new here. I have a Shapeoko on order and have a question for the bowl turners out there. Has anyone created templates for segmented bowls that they have used with their machines? I am curious if anyone has experience with that or even with making pen boxes (for the pen turners out there).

My goal with the new tool is to basically augment what I like to do with my time in the shop and to learn new skills.

There was this:

and I think the cumulative error angle potential was discussed at least once.

I am a turner and make segmented bowls. You may be able to machine some small projects or make them in halves. Clamping your work may not be easy. The pen boxes would be easy to make from a single board with the top and bottom being made from a single board. John Clark a forum member and youtuber has some videos about making boxes on youtube.com. They are not pen boxes but you could get a good idea from them to make pen boxes.

As you mentioned I am a woodworker with 40+ years of experience. Most things can be made on the Shapeoko but some things made with the Shapeoko are easier made the traditional ways. I think that bowl turning may one of those things that may be easier or better on a lathe. But many people enjoy the challenge of making something work. Just dont get wrapped around the axle by trying to make your Shapeoko do everything. I am currently making some keepsake boxes and will make tops for the boxes with pictures and words on the Shapeoko. But the boxes would be an extreme challenge to make on the Shapeoko. So just keep perspective do what you want.

3 Likes

Wow, that globe is amazing!

Thank you! I wasn’t planning on carving out the bowls on the CNC, but rather attempting to make the pieces on the CNC. I have seen some interesting videos where folks have carved letters and shapes into their segments. Will Adams took this to a whole other level with his globe!

Thanks for the input, and I think I might use the pen boxes as a good intro project to help me get oriented to the new tool.

Not my project — I just remembered @Undecaffeinated’s project and was able to find the link.

I bought the “Wedgies” and made the sled. My first segment was perfect. My old sled always had an error and I would make half ring glue ups and trim on the table saw. The Wedgies are not cheap but worth every cent.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.