Setting up a laser pointer

I am trying to setup a laser pointer on my Shapeoko 4. I have the laser installed. Went to quick action and generated a new action per the instructions of the manufacture. I get an error message "feed rate has not been set or undefined. I have messaged the manufacture and have not heard back yet. Here is the code I am using. Any help would be great.

To take full advantage of it, create a user action in carbide motion by going to
RUN
QUICK ACTIONS
EDIT USER MACROS
Click ADD
Name your action (SET HOME - LASER)
Add a description (sets x and y home to laser position)
Then copy and paste this GCODE to the GCODE section.

G91 X-3.448 Y0.474 ;move to laser position
G10 L20 P1 X0 Y0 ;set x and y origin position

Just as it says, you haven’t told the machine how fast to move for the G91 instruction.

Another problem is that your Quick Action doesn’t say if it’s moving in mm or inches - it will end up with “whatever the last program did”.

So, first put either G20 (inches) or G21 (mm) at the top of the program.
Next line, do F XXX, replace XXX with a speed in the units you are using - measured per minute.
EDIT - Or add FXXX to the end of the G91 line, it can be there as well.

Now add the two lines you have.

1 Like

Thanks, after I posted this I figured it out. Added G20 and used G0 for the feed rate.

after reading , i need to upgrade my carbide motion and try this out on a laser i have been wanting to mount!!! thanks !!!

I just did this last week. It’s a weird journey into how motion eats or hides certain things:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.