Settings persistence in tool windows

I have been trying to assess multiple parameters for machining a job and how they may affect the cut on a specific file. I open the tool edit window and can set the pass depth, which seems to be persistent when closing and opening the CC application. I have not observed the stepover value changing but it may do. The start depth and max depth values in the final window after accepting the values also appear to be persistent.

Plunge rate, Feed rate and RPM are definitely not persistent and this becomes really tedious when trying to make multiple adjustments to the values for machining; only to find these parameters have to be re-entered by the user on every single occasion. I made 15 separate tool and machining adjustments for the same job, where I wanted to keep one previous parameter value. I had to re-enter the plunge rate, feed rate and RPM values 15 times. I don’t see much point in duplicating a previously entered value that one wishes to keep.

CC has a suboptimal GUI and the human machine interface leaves something to be desired. Why is the user not offered the choice to leave every parameter as it was set by themselves? This should be the default position until explicit adjustment commands have been issued by the user.

There is a vast amount of unused space on the left side of the design window in CC. My suggestion is that all of the variables that can be entered by the user for the tools and toolpath are grouped into a series of drop down and/or numerical entry windows; so that these changes can be made easily and quickly.

The values, if they were to revert back to initial default values which were not explicitly set by the user (why does this even need to happen?) could be easily monitored. Perhaps a refinement showing when the value had changed of its own accord… would be to highlight the window in red, thereby alerting the user to an unwanted change.

3 Likes

I think, but may be wrong, that some of the settings are specific to the tool database, and the rest adjustable for the project you want to do.

If you want to change the ‘default’ settings for the tool, I think you can do it from within the tool database, but if you can’t, why don’t you duplicate the tool into a user folder, and make the ‘default’ changes there?

Just a late night thought, so it probably doesn’t make sense.

Good night :grinning:

True dat.

:wink:

A good thought: My issue is this. No matter what settings the tool comes up with when first selected, (I like your notion that default settings are what the tool is reverting back to each time because that does seem to be the behaviour). The value entry boxes are provided for the purpose of entering any value.

This is where I come in… I want to try a different value and the tool accepts it (except it does not) because if in the midst of adjusting the parameters to change the settings, you go back to the values you had set previously to check them (GUI imposition again) and you will find that they have reverted to ‘normal’’; that is to say that they have changed back to the posted values when the tool was first opened.

I have many of my own tools that I have entered values into and saved. That is fine until you want to change them. The same software fault is exhibited and the tool changes for Plunge rate, Feed rate and RPM do not remain as set. This behaviour, whether it occurs at the point one closes the dialogue box or at some other point, is not the expected behaviour.

The software behaviour is unpredictable. When I make a change to a parameter, while trying to learn what a machinist would do in the same situation, I am facing a degree of inability to control the software via its own input mechanism. This makes machining anything at all something of a trial; rather than having the software facilitate my embryo attempts to learn how to machine any project in the way that a machinist might approach the problems.

I am working on the basis that all things are amenable to knowledge and practice. One really good YouTube presentation site I really do enjoy using as a resource for machining knowledge, is the Haas Automation Tip of the Day with Mark TerryBerry. So much good clear common sense and learning is available on that platform. There is no suggestion that what I am trying to achieve is beyond me or mystifying in any way.

It is at its base a very simple proposition for me… any dialogue box for entering a value must accept the values entered. No ifs, buts or maybes. There can be no point asking for user input then ignoring it.

When you make the change to the tool are you hitting enter and saving as you go along before going to the next tool? If not, try saving as you make each change.

I do not see why it would alter any setting entered in the USER tools folder.
Even if the values are out of spec, it should stay as entered… you snap a bit, change the values.

You MUST press ok to move on from the select tool editing dialogue box. I assume that ok is the equivalent of issuing a ‘save these values’ command. The second part of the equation is the start depth and max depth numbers and once again, you are required to signify ok before moving on. This too looks like it is an opportunity to lock in the values of start and max depth.

Please be aware that I am not complaining about the tool change process (just yet) but about the need to specifically keep entering values for feed rate and plunge rate. The RPM rate is not necessarily going to be useful to people like me without a spindle and VFD control or a BitRunner but the value I was entering was as an aide memoire. All of my own tools are entered into my personal tool library with RPM values.

My point is that when I enter a value, without changing a tool and I am trying to vary the results of a particular cut with the same tool, all of the entered parameters should be saved and offered as the values required unless they are explicitly changed by the user. The software has no business changing values which I have determined and entered, into something else… based upon what?

1 Like

I’ve had a look at this as promised, and found the following - which I hope will help!

I opened CC and started a new project with a simple circle.

I copied the 102 end mill from the Shapeoko Hardwood tool database…

…into my hardwood tool database…

…and added a Contour toolpath using those settings, and then used the Edit Tool page and changed the settings (it’s just an example, before anyone starts to scream at me!) to these…

…and added a second toolpath.

For the third toolpath, I used the same tool, but changed the settings again (no screaming, please, but these definitely won’t work!)…

Now, every time I go back into the tool database and select the tool, these are the settings I see.

I saved the .c3d file (for the first time, by the way) and then closed CC.

I reopened CC and started a new project with a rectangular vector and, when selecting the same tool, the settings are as I left them:

Is that where your issue lies, or have I completely missed the point?

Hi Peter, I do see what you are saying but it was not where I was heading.

It matters not where one picks up the tool… either the Carbide tool library or one’s own personalised library of tools. It is the issue of functionality and rationality when adjusting a tool one is already using to draw the toolpath.

So start with a toolpath for a project and then decide that the toolpath needs some adjustment. Open the edit tool dialogue box by clicking on the toolpath in CC. Click on the edit tool selection. When the tool opens it displays the default settings and you decide to adjust them, especially the feed rate, the plunge rate and the RPM.

When you click on the [ok] button, you will assume that the values you have entered are going to be the ones that the toolpath will use. Then you go back to check what you have entered and they will have reverted to their original values somewhere along the line.

If after clicking [ok] you continue to set the max depth and the start depth as part fo the toolpath adjustment routine, this will seemingly adjust the parameter values (of plunge rate, feed rate and RPM) back to the original values. I have been caught out and discovered this phenomenon when seeing my second (value adjusted) cut was no different to the first.

Closing the dialogue box by clicking on [ok] appears to reset the values to their stored in library values. I was attempting to fine tune my cuts and feeds and made many adjustments. It is irrational that the software expects the adjustment values entered to be entered every time the adjustment to feeds and speeds is made.

I hope that makes it clearer to you. I apologise for not explaining myself clearly enough.

It does, thank you.

I tried that, Jeff, but it didn’t happen that way for me.

Once I’d changed any of the settings in a test project using your method (double click theToolpath, Edit, and then make the changes in the Edit Tool screen, click OK) the changes I’d made were saved, which I confirmed by opening the toolpath again. Once I clicked OK having edited the toolpath, CC recalculated the cutting time, too.