SO3: SparkFun vs Carbide 3D

Does anyone know the merits of buying SparkFun’s Shapeoko 3 vs Carbide 3D’s offerings?

It’s red. Available from Sparkfun distributors, which may save one on shipping or customs. Control board is more flexible / easily repurposed and may be more resistant to electro-static disconnect, opensource.

The only differences are:

• The Sparkfun board shares a single drive for both Y motors, we use two drivers, one for each motor.
  • Our motors come with connectors so it’s just a plug-and-play build. There’s no wire stripping and terminal blocks.
  • We make their frame in red, we make ours in black.
  • If you buy our homing switch kit, it’s as simple as plugging it in- no terminal blocks.

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you.

-Rob

PS- Just to be clear, we make the mechanical kit for both.

Thanks. This helps. I’ll probably end up buying from you folks (Carbide 3D). Also, you mentioned the homing switch kit. Does the homing switch kit include the limit switches. Or, are the limit switches separate add ons?

Thanks for the information. I like the red, but will probably buy from Carbide 3D.

The Homing Switch kit only has the homing side on it (Z+, Y+, X+), not the other end that would be there for limits.

-Rob