Shapeoko 3 to XXL upgrade instructions

Hello!

Just purchased the XXL upgrade for the Shapeoko 3 before its discontinued.

Issues are there seem to be no instructions. I have the instructions to build an XXL but no instructions on how to upgrade.

I have also run into the issue where the drag cord connections are different in my box compared to all of the instructions and videos I have found.

thank you for any insight.

The assumption is that one will disassemble the machine using the reverse of the original assembly, then re-assemble using the instructions which apply, either:

or

Where necessary, consult the various upgrade instructions:

or if applicable:

If you have specific difficulties, let us know at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to get things sorted out.

So part of the hiccup is the current XXL upgrade kit assumes you have a Z plus so I am missing the following

From the Shapeoko_XXL_Assembly_Guide_v5_03_27_2020_web

on page 38 I have Piece B but I need the older bracket, X-Axis Drag Chain Bracket not the new bracket. Step 6 Wiring - Carbide 3D

and from Proximity_Switch_Upgrade_10-28-2020_v1_smaller

I am missing D G J M from page 6.

Please let us know about these difficulties at support@carbide3d.com

Note that as mentioned above, in the absence of a Z-Plus you should use:

and that there are a couple of possible ways to mount the drag chains depending on which variant Shapeoko build you have, so you may not need these specific parts.

I’ve sent an email.

Sadly with those instructions, I am still missing pieces.

Anything which is missing will be sent as quickly as we can once we’ve sorted out what is necessary.

Thanks, just waiting for a reply to the email

Sadly found more I was missing :frowning:

My drag chains on left rail on xl (like standard) are anchored over controller on side and forms a U with the open part of the U facing towards back of Shapeoko. On my xxl the same drag chain has the open part of the U facing forward.

The controller on standard is on back of gantry. On xl and xxl the controller is on outside of left rail. The older controllers had a big alum block for heat sink. Newer ones that big heat sink is removed and heat tape is on back of board between board and case. Newer controller cases are in two pieces, older pnes one piece bolted onto heat sink.

yeah the issue I have is the piece I have only can connect where the Not Z motor is.

Just waiting to hear from support (I hope today) but I may be able to fix this if i head up to the hardware store. I just shouldn’t have to.

any hiccup arised that the Z limit switch wont connect to this connect. So I need the new Z limit switch.

My Shapeoko isn’t that old. It was just bought last year.

Is there a rough idea when customer support will reply?

The ticket has been put over to the folks in shipping, so you should get a reply once they get to it in their queue and scan it out to the shipping dock.

Appreciated! thank you!

i am just a little stuck at the moment. I’d love to hear from someone.

got a confirmation that my stuff has been shipped

2 Likes

Received my package today and am still missing pieces! They shipped things without confirming what they had sent!

I am pretty frustrated at this stage!

ok my biggest issue at the moment is not being able to connect the Z proximity switch to an original Z axis. Any suggestions? I have the original plate for the mechanical proximity switch

I made a small plastic plate to allow securing a proximity switch where a push button switch would go — please contact us at support@carbide3d.com and let us know what you need and we’ll do our best to assist.

I had the same problems about a month or so ago but after getting sent extra parts 2 or 3 times I finally got it all figured out. I did have to rig up the X axis limit switch a bit different than stated and lost maybe a inch or so travel but it all works completely fine now.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.