Shapeoko 3 - too big

Hi all,

I bought a Shapeoko 3 a few years ago and love it. I moved to a smaller place now and can’t fit it in my small space. Any ideas on what I can do to have a much smaller footprint? I only need a usable
cutting space of 6" x 6" at the most.

Thanks in advance for suggestions!
Gunter

Sell it and buy a Nomad3 instead ? (8"x8"x3" working area)

2 Likes

Well, a Nomad 3 has a cutting area of 8”x8”x3” which would inherently have a smaller footprint than an SO3. I’m sure there are other options too (I’m just not that knowledgeable on options).

Thanks for the suggestion, the Nomad 3 is well past my budget :slightly_smiling_face:
I know this is going to sound daft, but is there a possibility of making the S03 smaller?

Could you mount it vertically, with the obvious limitations and design needs for work holding?

I didn’t know that was possible?? Yes if I could mount it vertically, that would be great! Workholding
won’t be a problem as I use double sided tape anyway.

Is this really possible?

I don’t know, it was just a thought. It might put too much strain on the belts though, too.

I wouldn’t rely on double sided tape, not without a supporting fence.

Also, you’d need to ensure the X rail was at the “bottom” before powering the machine off.

EDIT: Would you be able to wall mount it on a cantilevered bed, lonly bringing it down when you want to use it?

Here’s an outside link… here

Thank you Peter. That link was very interesting but unfortunately not workable for me. My landlady would throw a fit :slight_smile:

There’s a thread about wall-mounting the Shapeoko but it looks like nobody actually tried it.

Jeff, thank you for your very detailed reply.
As much as I’d like to take on the task, I think it will be beyond my ability.
Shame, I really wanted to hang on to my S03 but it looks like I’ll have to
sell it for a smaller one.

Thank you every one who replied.

1 Like

An C-beam has an small footprint

If you or someone you know knows how to weld and you have a saw to cut the extrusions, then you can always make it smaller haha.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.