Shapeoko 3xl run trouble

Hi. I was finally able to get the Bitsetter configured correctly and began a basic contour star
from beginner training by Myers Woodworking. I initialized my machine. Nice and slow, easy to follow step by step. I set up CC and CM with my material, bit, design and load into CM. Then I zeroed each axis on my lower left, checked everything again to be sure, got my vacuum ready, turned on the router and then hit run. But instead of cutting the wood the router rose up and moved to center front position asking for a bit, I hit resume, and it started heading for the Bitsetter. I had already wiped out one magnet for the Bitsetter and was quick on the draw this time and hit the stop button before blowing my last magnet. Where did I screw up this time? BTW you guys are awesome!

Don’t power on the router until prompted, and after all tool measurements for the current tool are complete.

1 Like

just so you don’t feel alone, I almost did this twice as my previous process was to turn the router on and hit go. But CM wants to check the height of the bit for later in case there is a bit change. So as Will mentioned, don’t turn the router on until AFTER the bit setter does its pre checks.

I have another machine that I use USG instead of CM to send the G code. So I just use it for the Shapeoko as well. That way my original process of setting zeros and hitting go works and I don’t forget that CM would do that tool check.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I had initialized the machine earlier and it went to the bitsetter and did its thing. Then I did the jog for setting my axis zeroes and loaded my file then hit run. Is it supposed to do the bitsetter thing again? Also, will I get a prompt to turn on the machine?

Yes it is supposed to go to the bitsetter again. It will do that at the start of every carve just to be sure. Once it is back from the bitsetter it will tell you to start the router and what speed to set it at.

Wow. You are right. I thought “well, let’s just see” and it did. Then it went to do the cut. I was about a second late turning on the machine and got a little drag. BUT IT WAS CUTTING. Halleluyah for a baby step! But I had a downcut 1/4 inch endmill in the machine and I guess I didnt have it tight enough because it started to pull the bit out of the collet and began to cut into the spoil board. Maybe it was the nature of the down force of the bit. No biggie. I know its just part of that learning curve. I just don’t want to run around in the dark using my checkbook for a flashlight. Thanks folks!

The BitSetter is not measuring your bit. What it does is the last time you set Z zero, and that could be yesterday, that position is held in memory. During initialization the machine sets its internal zeros by the homing sequence. Typically the user does not use that measurement system. So when you set X Y and/or Z zero the machine (CM) is offsetting that position from its internal coordinates created during initialization.

So when you power on and connect you are asked for a bit, any bit. That bit is then taken to the BitSetter and the length of that bit is compared to the last time you set Z zero. If the same bit is used from the last time you used your Shapeoko it does not matter it is compared because the machine wants to know where the bit in the router is in comparison to the last set Z zero. This happens every time you initialize.

Now when you start a job you are prompted for the bit required in the gcode. The machine comes to the front and you either install a new bit or leave the original bit in the router. The machine then goes to the BitSetter and compares the bit in the router to the last time you set Z zero. This happens every time you start a job regardless if the job has one bit or 100 bits. Again the bit in the router is compared to the last time you set Z zero and if necessary an internal offset is created to maintain your Z zero set.

If you job has multiple bits in the job after each toolpath is completed you are prompted for the new bit and the BitSetter is visited and an offset is created in the software to maintain Z zero.

The initialization and running of a job are always done in the same way regardless of what bit is in the router or what bit is requested. This procedure keeps the software and the bit synchronized.

The only time this procedure is not done on initialization and/or start of a job is if you uncheck the BitSetter off in the configuration. With the BitSetter unchecked you will not measure the bit and the machine is solely reliant on you setting the X Y and Z zero either manually or with a BitZero. If you initialized with the BitSetter enabled and you turn it off you need to power cycle the Shapeoko and reinitialize. If you do not the machine is not synchronized and likely will cut an air job even if you set new Zeros.

1 Like

Understood. Thank you. I will keep watching CC and CM. videos

You will learn how tight tight is. To help after inserting a bit use a fine magic marker to put a mark around the bit right at the collet. If you simply pause the machine you can get a quick visual check of the bit has moved.

If you have a C3D router then get yourself a set of the wrenches and use 2 wrenches and not the stop button. C3D recommends only using the stop button for initial tightening and then finish tightening with the two wrench method. You can find the size of the wrenches here on the forum and get some from places like Amazon and the like.

1 Like

I grind on my mistakes and was thinking that very thing last night - which I will do. Oh, and maybe buy an upcut endmill. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.