Shapeoko 5 ATC Spindle

Hello. I just added a 2.2kw liquid cooled ISO20 spindle and VFD to my 5. Right now I just have it set up to do manual tool changes with a button next to the spindle. It works great! The tool changes are super fast and I can have all my tools set up in holders and ready to go. There is an air blow through the spindle to dust off the ISO taper and I have the VFD programmed to not allow the tool release solenoid valve to actuate unless the spindle is fully stopped. The next step is to add a tool rack so I can automate the system. I know GRBL doesn’t support tool changes, but I figure I can modify my Fusion 360 post processor to output a sub routine for the tool positions for drop off and pick up before the M6 command, which would trigger the Bitsetter cycle. I’m hoping I can find a way to eliminate the user confirmation before that cycle starts so it can be truly automated.

Does anybody know what is going on with the auxiliary and accessory outputs on the electronics enclosure? I’m hoping there is a digital output that is assigned to an m code so I can actuate my tool release solenoid valve.

If I can’t get the Shapeoko electronics and GRBL to work I’ll probably switch to a Masso G3 Touch control, but that’s a last resort.
IMG_4107

8 Likes

Very cool setup!

I would not put much effort into trying to use all the Carbide 3D software to run the ATC. I don’t think they have put out any info on how all the extra ports are going to work. I have my doubts that they will expose any of the functionality to be customized by us tinkerers.

There is probably a way to use GRBL or a customized GRBL to run the ATC but I don’t know if the updated electronics from Carbide 3D will get in the way of using something like gSender or CNCJS to control it.

You could try reaching out to the sales or customer support to get more info. Please post it here if you get any.

@Luke might have some insight into setting up ATC to work with 3CD electronics. You can learn more about the excess report here. @robgrz has not released ant info on the auxiliary port.

1 Like

What spindle did you select and why?

2 Likes

This is the spindle I ordered. It was $1500 plus shipping when I ordered it. I went with that one over some of the others on Aliexpress because it came with a VFD. The motor is 4 pole 800hz and I wanted to make sure the VFD was compatible with the motor since most are 400hz.

I asked Carbide support for info on the electronics ports but they are tight lipped on them. Hopefully they will release some info when they get some accessories out. I’ll have to do more probing to really figure out what’s going on.

@oatmeehl , The specs in the link you posted say it is 3-phase. Can you shed any light on how you hooked it up?

If you read further down in the description, the supply voltage is 220 VAC single phase. The spindle motor is three phase (most all are) which is output by the VFD.

Thanks for the info. I had no idea the vfd was a phase converter.

I installed a 220 volt 20 amp 4 wire outlet for the VFD. Most VFDs have RST inputs for 3 phase but only require single phase and you just wire to 2 of the inputs. As long as you have the correct voltage they are happy.

The other issue with this setup is that the spindle weights 8kg. That’s a bit much for the HDZ to be able to hold when not powered. It will hold just fine when at the Z machine home but if I touch or bump it, it will start drifting down. When powered up it’s just fine. It hasn’t been much of an issue yet but I will probably add a gas spring to reduce that weight on the ballscrew.

Also, since Carbide3D doesn’t make one I had to machine my own spindle mount. I made it taller than the 60mm mount and I’m using 6 bolts to attach it to the Z axis. I just felt like that would be more secure. I added the accessory dovetail on the side just in case Carvide3D comes out with something cool for that.

1 Like

Thats a good looking spindle mount. what did you machine it on?

I machined the mount on a 5 Axis mill I have at my job. It’s a Hurco VMX60SR, a head table machine so the head pivots as a B axis and the table rotates as the C.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.