Shapeoko 5 Pro - ordered many weeks ago, but company getting no response from Carbide 3D?

Hi all,

I’m reaching out through my husband’s account in hopes of finding some guidance and, hopefully, a resolution to an ongoing issue I’ve been facing regarding my recent purchase of a Shapeoko 5 Pro. Many weeks ago, I decided to take the leap and invest in a Shapeoko 5 Pro, which I believe appears to be one of the best CNC machines available on the market at this price point as a gift for my husband.

However, my initial enthusiasm has been dampened by a significant lack of communication from Carbide 3D regarding the delivery times of my purchase - I’ve ordered through a UK shop and they have said they’ve struggled to get any response on delivery from Carbide (it was meant to be 25 days, but we’re way past that now).

I understand delays can happen for a multitude of reasons, but it’s disappointing as I’d ordered for my husband’s birthday which is imminent and it looks like he’ll be empty-handed despite having ordered with plenty of lead time… :frowning_face: I know this may be between the UK supplier and Carbide, but it’d be great to get any tips on how I can resolve/accelerate or at least get some sort of communication of timelines from Carbide 3d?

The absence of a response has left me in a difficult position, not knowing whether I should wait, seek an alternative, or escalate my concerns further.

Has anyone else faced similar challenges? If so, how were you able to resolve them? Are there specific channels or contacts within Carbide 3D that might expedite a response?

Additionally, if any Carbide 3D representatives are reading this, I kindly request your assistance in providing an update on my order. An estimated delivery time, even if it’s approximate, would be greatly appreciated and would go a long way in easing the uncertainty I’m currently facing and at least I can tell my husband roughly when to expect his gift…

Hello! I recently received my Shapeoko 5 Pro and I was in a similar boat as you! I ordered the machine on Dec 8, I reached out to them via email on Dec 17th asking if I can get an estimate on the arrival since it said 5 business days on the website at the time that I ordered it.

On the 18th they responded with “It looks like your order should be getting shipped out sometime around the 10th of January, unfortunately a little further out than we had hoped for. We’re trying to keep everything on schedule, but the influx of orders from Black Friday, and a bad batch of machine packaging has inflated shipping estimates and lead times a bit more than we initially expected.”

I reached out to them again on Jan 7 for an update, they responded saying it should be shipped out within the next couple of days. I received my machine January 18th. So it was a very long wait since Dec 8th!!

I hope my experience gives you a little insight to what may still be going on.

Don’t know about shipping to the UK. Is there a Tracking number you can see where it is at the moment?

Best of Luck to you.

Not being a direct sale we can’t see anything without more information.

If you can DM me the retailer I can look into it for you.

3 Likes

It sounds like you ordered through a UK vendor, which means they are in charge of shipping the machine. International resellers carry inventory and ship the machines, we do not dropship for them. We don’t even have any information about your order at all.

Further, looking at our support queue, we do not have any messages from your email at all, so it doesn’t look like you’ve contacted us until now.

All of that said, forward your order receipt and your last email to the reseller to sales@carbide3d.com and we’ll see if we can help.

2 Likes

Hi Rob (and thanks all for your previous helpful replies)

Yes, definitely ordered through UK vendor (Robosavvy.co.uk) as I don’t believe you have an international shipping solutions that don’t drop the tax/import liabilities on the customer, so they’ll be where the order has come from.

I’ll forward the email to you and be great if you could help to bottom out!

2 Likes

Yours is not first one from the EU that has had problems with shipments. It has to go through customs at the various countries and many times it is held up on someone’s dock waiting for the paper work and various import taxes to be settled. Hopefully you can get this resolved.

The wheels of government grind slowly but finely. Sometimes we caught up in the teeth of government and get ground up finely.

I had a look at the Robosavvy site and they state on their website that all their orders are shipped from the UK, however, there is also a little Portuguese flag on the 5 Pro stating that it ships from Portugal and the line

“This product is expected to ship within 25 business days.”

That suggests that they might be expecting to have the product shipped after receiving the customer order from the US to Portugal to get it in their warehouse (or that of their upstream distributor).

Once shipped from Portugal there is then the Brexit customs farce to go through which, as we know, can be an unpredictable delay. Unfortunately those clauses on their site refer to shipping from the UK out, not into the UK from outside…

So, if Carbide are able to say whether the machine has been shipped to Portugal, there should then be a shipping notification from Robosavvy to say they’ve handed over to the courier, from their site the section on shipping says

"3.4 Unforeseen Delays and Customs Procedures on Arrival at the Destination Country

As per 3.1 “Shipping” is a service provided by an external company (designated “Courier”) hired by RoboSavvy Ltd on behalf of the customer.
Therefore any unforeseen delays after delivery of the parcel to the Courier are beyond the reach and responsibility of RoboSavvy Ltd. Should the customer experience an unexpected delay, please contact the Courier if you have the Tracking number to obtain clarification. You may also contact RoboSavvy Ltd which will initiate its best efforts for the successful delivery of the goods.

Shipments to countries outside UK may experience additional delays when passing through the Customs Office in the Customer’s destination country. The Customs procedures, timeframes and possible Costs are dependent on the Customer’s Local Laws and Regulations.

All customs charges upon arrival at the Destination Country are the responsibility of the Buyer.
If your order is time sensitive we recommend that you check with your local Customs Office about possible delays for incoming shipments.

If required by the Customer, RoboSavvy Ltd will provide all necessary Invoicing Documentation, Proof of Postage and Tracking information (when available per 3.3) aiming for the successful delivery of the Parcel to the Customer.
"

Which is a little shifty of them to disclaim responsibility for the courier, it seems that Brexit customs charges may well apply.

3 Likes

Thanks all - so confirmed at Carbide 3d’s side - last I heard they were waiting for their ‘Illinois office’ to confirm what was going on, but not heard anything since…

Not had a tracking number or anything yet, so not the greatest experience for any new customers to watch out for…

Can anyone from Carbide3d at least confirm what’s going on? ie has anything been shipped yet?

Last I heard was shipping should take two weeks, which was coming up to two weeks ago, so none the wiser!

The problem with Robosavvy is they tell you they have stock on the product, then at checkout tell you they don’t have stock and it’ll be put on backorder.

It’s not a great introduction and I can see why it’d upset someone who thinks they’ve ordered somehting for deliver in 5 days and there’s no chanceit will . I was literally at the point of ordering today and got to the checkout, saw that and abandonded my cart.

There’s no point in having a stock count if it’s not a count of the stock you have.

I’m looking for another supplier, but in reality, if I have to import it myself then I’m also going to look at Onefinity.

1 Like

I bought my SO3 XXL from Robotshop.co.uk and had no issues, they clearly state that the SO5 Pro is on backorder for them

2 Likes

In their defence

7.2 Customs Duties and Taxes at the Destination Country

• Since January 1st 2021, and due to what is known by Brexit, shipments from our UK warehouse to any EU country will not be charged VAT and this needs to be paid when entering the destination country.
  • For all Countries other than UK, your order may be subject to Customs charges or Duties. These charges are the responsibility of the Customer (buyer).

7.2.1 Customers in the UK

For customers in the UK, no other Customs fees or Taxes will be charged to the Customer other than what Robosavvy charges directly.

1 Like

Did you get cutters etc from them?
The one thing Robosavvy did have was a nice selection of options you could add. eg router 1/8" collet etc.

I don’t think I got anything other than the machine from them, but I did later buy some other parts.

I started out with an AMB Kress spindle which came with it’s own collet system, if you’re using a trim router then it’s definitely worth getting collets in other sizes such as 1/8" instead of using the somewhat iffy reducer collars.

As for cutters in the UK, I mostly buy from one of these suppliers
Rennie Tool
Small UK business, good prices, I buy drill bits here too

APT
End mills, taps, lots of tools, their DLC coated Aluminium cutters are very well priced, speedy delivery

Arc Euro Trade
Another good supplier, got my toolmakers vice from them
https://www.arceurotrade.co.uk/Catalogue/Workholding/Machine-Vices/Precision-Tool-Vices-Type-2

EW Equipment
End mills, taps, fluids etc. Proper machine shop supplier, fast delivery, very fair prices, stock some nice stuff too, really quality taps available here

Cutwel
Proper professional tool supplier, range from quite sensible little cutters up to monsters you’d not want to run in a Shapeoko, I got my reference straight edge from these folks too.

HTH

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.