Shapeoko 5 Pro Out of Square

Is there a fairly simple way to bring the Z Axis back into square? Atleast I think it’s the Z that is out of square, the X and Y frames are measuring square.

Noticed that a lot of projects have been out of square lately. Lined up a perfectly square piece of plywood, drew a line, and sure enough, out of square .09 over 11.5" (see attached pics)

Off Square 1.pdf (74.8 KB)
Off Square 2.pdf (80.2 KB)
Off Square Set Up.pdf (76.3 KB)

I’m not sure what you’re referring to, but the way you are using the clamp in your third photo is wrong.

3 Likes

X axis runs left to right,
Y axis runs front to back,
Z axis is up and down.

2 Likes

Fair enough. The gantry appears to be out of square

There are micro adjust screws on the Y homing sensors, just adjust the sensors back and forth until the machine squares up. Remember to re-home after each adjustment. Took me few tries but got mine to absolute perfection.

3 Likes

4 Likes

I just wanted to say thank you for providing this tidbit of information. It wasnt even something i had thought of but after checking mine it was about .070" off side to side. After adjusting it like you mentioned above, it’s about .005" across 48". I can live with that considering that any metal parts will be small and it’s plenty close for woodworking.

1 Like

While your machine may be out of square, you need to learn how to clamp your work to make sure it is not moving:

1 Like

Good information Rich. It doesn’t matter how good the machine is tuned if your part and workholding isn’t secure. I work in the cnc field as a toolmaker and your link provides valuable information to those who don’t already know those best practices.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.