Shapeoko e-book [V4 released]

No it was @julien’s calculator I was commenting on. I think that a 1D ramp would be fairly steep, I’ve used something closer to 2D with success but I could hear the spindle making more noise during the operation, nothing bad but I wonder if I went to 1D… Is there a reason why I would want only 1D. The time difference is very small.

Ohhh - Sorry - I think I misinterpreted your question. You meant the length of the ramp, not the depth (as I had interpreted it) - right?

Yes, the length is missing since you don’t want to go too fast.

I tried to assume a worst case scenario (“1D” vertical plunge), since this is all CC offers as of today.
But for sure, when using a CAM tool that supports various types of ramping (linear or helical) there is no reasons that I see to not use them, our endmills will thank us and live a long happy life.
2D I guess you meant linear ramping, and 3D I guess you mean helical, I did not quite grasp what 4D would be here ? varying the plungrate during the helical plunge ?

15 posts were merged into an existing topic: Speeds, Feeds, Power, and Force (SFPF) Calculator History

Hi everyone,

I finally published a v2 of the e-book, following the comments I received on v1.

• very thorough proofreading by @WillAdams, thank you again!
  • lots of small improvements based on @luc.onthego’s insights, thanks!
  • I integrated @gmack’s great feeds and speeds worksheet (it may not be the very latest version though), including the nice wood hardness list that @Hooby collected.

The v2 is now online at the same URL as before : https://shapeokoenthusiasts.gitbook.io/shapeoko-cnc-a-to-z/

A zip file with the PDF version and support files (gmack’s worksheet and my simplified version) is available here

Another zip file with the ePUB version and support files is available here

As I continue my journey in CNC territory, I will be updating the chapters here and there, comments/suggestions are still very much welcome to make the future v3 better.

13 Likes

Thank you for all your work @julien, I think that every Shapeoko owner should download a copy and keep it in close proximity as a reference.

3 Likes

My latest worksheet is available here. I anticipate making another update to reflect the latest thinking on cutting speed (SFM) thresholds for HSM after I determine what they are. I’ll also change the link recommending climb milling from Sandvic’s to Dapra’s. Thanks for your efforts on the e-book and explaining how to use the worksheet!

3 Likes

Nice work! This is gonna be a good read.

2 Likes

@julien, as a newbie i really appreciate all of the hard work you have put into the workbook. It is well written and easy to follow.

cheers

4 Likes

@Julien
Do you think that it would be helpful to add links to informative videos to help clarify some of the topics that you cover in the e-book? IMO, this would be a good choice for “Climb vs. Conventional” milling and maybe this one for “Feeds and Speeds” (with appropriate caveats)? Preferably the videos would be downloaded, provided with, and linked to the e-book.

2 Likes

I considered doing that, and other people have suggested adding links to interesting resources, but I have refrained from doing that for the following reasons:

• I would like the e-book to be mostly a standalone thing, without the distraction of clicking on many links (if people are like me, 15 min later they are 5 levels removed from the original page, and got lost in some other rabbit hole)
  • the offline PDF/paper version would be frustrating to read.
  • the Wiki is already providing tens of interesting links on pretty much every single topic.
  • maintenance would become an issue, and there is nothing I dislike more than a broken link
  • and basically I trust people to google any topic they are interested in to dig deeper, once they have realized where the topic fits in the big picture.

So basically, I’d rather not.

6 Likes

I totally understand! I believe that you’ve already done a great service for the community by going thru hundreds - thousands of posts here and elsewhere to extract the most relevant and useful information and present it in an understandable manner. IMO augmenting your e-book with downloaded/linked videos produced by subject area experts might also be beneficial. As you know there’s a lot of noise and misinformation “out there”!

I’ve been using “Free Instant Downloader for YouTube” from the Microsoft Store to download and save videos for future reference and get around potential broken link issues. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Probably not very relevant given the large number of pics and sketches in there ? and wayyy out of my abilities anyway. There are some excellent CNC podcasts available, can’t remember the name, the one co-hosted by Winston for example

2 Likes

See if you can get Morgan Freeman.

6 Likes

Yup - at least for me I usually need to “see things” to really understand them. It’s nice when I don’t have to do the visualization work myself. Thank you!

• @WillAdams
    Do you think it would be worthwhile and possible to have living C3D threads dedicated to archiving and evaluating/ranking videos and podcasts?
2 Likes

Any sort of content related to CNC with Carbide 3D machines is welcome here.

While not ranking, I’ve been trying to keep up with #MaterialMonday at:

1 Like

Evening @Julien

Seen one typo under troubleshooting & maintenance - “Crashing the mashine”

Every Good Read needs to know a little bit about the Author - I would love to see a little section about you, why you did this, and your journey from minnow to King frog of CNC :slight_smile:

I know you don’t want to direct link in the V2 but i think an additional reading sheet / appendix would be worth while (i too am a 20 deep serial clicker Start at F&S end up at nema stepper motor micron accuracy lol) i would like to further back this up by my recent experience as a use case to why.

I was reading the F&S section and Tool paths and had my first epiphany (thanks for that DOC vs WOC) and there was a stand out quote you said

“If you go for narrow and deep (and you should!), given the small WOC values you will definitely need to take chip thinning into account.”

i found myself thinking why should i i didnt really get it etc but like most things i just go with it by applied knowledge differences. i.e. yours better than mine.

However as i was looking for the V2 link to the document i cam across the link to " The Definitive Talk on Adaptive Clearing in HSM" this 40 min Video + your document has warped me to new thinking and already reduced some of my tried and tested jobs by 15+mins. it has also solidified my experience and knowledge with the “i knew this but it had not clicked yet” if that makes sense

So as you can see from my real example if it was not for that chance link find, i would not be better off. So i would urge you to create as suggested an appendix / essential reading / viewing page to by digested at different pace to the main document.

So that is just my two pence worth

Again an excellent document Julien, if i can help with anything please let me know and i will do my best to assist you

Cheers
Jon

4 Likes

Thanks for spotting the typo (and in a title…if that is not “hiding in plain sight”…)

What your example is really telling me, is that there is are parts of the e-book where I drop a bit of information (or even opinion) without explaining enough.

But you guys will really make me reconsider providing a set of links / watchlist appendix…I guess we could do a quick poll here on the forum, figure out the top10 most helpful resources, and include that along with a brief description of why they matter.

4 Likes

10 posts were merged into an existing topic: Speeds, Feeds, Power, and Force (SFPF) Calculator History