Shapeoko e-book [V4 released]

I found them too hard to keep aimed at the small the moving target.

I’ll try to work in more idioms since you seem willing to lend me an ear! :wink:

Agreed, so it will double as good entertainment, like in the good old days of shooting ducks on TV with the Nintendo gun :slight_smile:

Joke aside, what I wanted to do is measure endmill temperature immediately after the end of a given test cut, so aiming won’t be an issue. Accuracy, that’s another problem.

1 Like

$100 says this guy has all your answers

Marvin Groeb, materials scientist @ Kern

1 Like

5 min of googling and now my next 40 minutes HAVE to go into watching him talk about this :

We’ll see if he mentions thermal considerations at any point :slight_smile:

EDIT: the video is awesome, probably the best intro to adaptive clearing I have seen, and the guy is brilliant. But…apart from a few seconds near the beginning, no clear answer regarding chip versus heat. I’ll keep searching.

7 Likes

That video is really dope. Thanks for sharing it. So much to learn and so little time! :cry:

4 Likes

I think the answer is in the HSM chart that he copied from the cnccookbook. That chart shows that heat increases with increasing cutting speed (SFM/RPM) and, assuming that the feed rate was constant (was it?), power until the material starts to melt (as he said the chips become “plastic”). I wonder what happens with plastic! Note that Titanium is also a “non-ferrous metal” but has a melting temperature of 1668 degrees C, so HSM probably won’t work with it. :wink:

2019-08-29 Here’s an update/correction to BW’s HSM chart from.

~ Twice the spindle speed required for Aluminun but far less for steel and iron!

2 Likes

Well thank you, I had seen that chart before but it had not clicked for me / I had not made the link with the decreasing chipload (assuming, as you mention, that feedrate is kept constant in this experiment)

So at least for metals, at slow RPMs thicker chiploads do help removing heat, and at high RPMs it matters less because of this nice plunge of the “non-ferrous metals” curve that is the root of HSM, so one can get away with small chiploads (and we’re back to the 0.001" rule)

It would be very interesting to see what curves exist for other softer materials, I imagine they only have the first part of the curve (with heat increasing with Vc)

Oh and about titanium, I thought @Vince.Fab used HSM ?

I think its more likely that less heat is generated at the lower feed rates because there’s less cutting power and friction. So there is no contradiction after all. (I removed mention of the contradiction from post 111 to avoid potential confusion.) But maybe that’s the genesis (or oranges as Trump would say) of BW’s misconception?:wink:

@Vince.Fab used the Nomad to mill Titanium. It’s limited to 10,000 RPM, so he apparently wasn’t HSMing.

2 Likes

Also used the shapeoko to cut ti adaptive but what the hell, let’s go 100% D in titanium too… even though I like a thicker chipload.

Some metals transfer heat differently and I adjust radial and axial to compensate, but that’s a little experimental

I wonder how it works. Is the cutter softening the material by heating it? Seems like using coolants would be counterproductive too. :thinking:

Maybe, but hot wires cut plastic and hot knives cut butter nicely. More experiments for you?:wink:

Well…that was way too close for comfort :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

More speed Igor! :wink:

The sfm is already 50% higher that it should be lol. Running mild steel was fine but ide reccomend max 1/8 tool @ 10k for ti and other hard metals.

We don’t have the power, especially on the X to push those kinds of loads. So there you go folks, 100% diameter adoc in Ti adaptive

1 Like

Using the calculator today, I did not see any recommendations on ramping. Should it be 2D, 3D or even 4D?

What machine, spindle, spindle speed, DOC, WOC, endmill, and feed rate?

@vince posted Here about Steel
in 0.250 lakeshorecarbide fireplug
80ipm, 10krpm
0.0008 maximal chip
0.250 adoc 0.010 rdoc

He has another thread for titanium here
8mm CP1
Lakeshore 250 Fireplug
Lakeshore 250 4 flute ball
Followed a 0.0008 chipload for 0.0625 roughing, then 0.002 chipload for ball finishing

1 Like

A post was merged into an existing topic: Speeds, Feeds, Power, and Force (SFPF) Calculator History

Which calculator? Mine shows 1D for Fusion Adaptive (like the original NYCCNC calculator). Kennametal’s application data shows what their endmills are capable of (much more than Shapeokos support). And, I really doubt that GWizard was used to develop that data! :wink:

No it was @julien’s calculator I was commenting on. I think that a 1D ramp would be fairly steep, I’ve used something closer to 2D with success but I could hear the spindle making more noise during the operation, nothing bad but I wonder if I went to 1D… Is there a reason why I would want only 1D. The time difference is very small.