Shapeoko e-book [V4 released]

You mean slow down your feed rate (IPM) rather than spindle speed (RPM) - right? High speeds are good because they reduce cutting torque - and hence forces on the machine and workpiece. Reducing feed rate also reduces forces, as does reducing depth of cut (DOC) and/or width of cut (WOC) per pass. But, IMO, its better to reduce WOC than DOC whenever possible to utilize more of the endmill’s cutting length to reduce wear.

I also agree that people shouldn’t be trying to make wood chips rather than sawdust with either routers or HF spindles on hobbyist machines. Handheld and table mounted routers have been making sawdust for decades, and the required operator/machine force levels are pretty comparable.

Minimizing the overall cutter stick-out from the spindle’s load bearing supports (V-Wheels, linear guides, etc.) reduce the detrimental effects (vibration and deflection) of the cutting forces.

1 Like

You have to look at the cut and if you are getting burning on your cut it could be contributed to rpms of your spindle,and moving to slow, not all bits should run a full rpms. In my opinion this is something that is learned by listening while your cutter is cutting and make adjustments for chatter and burning by stepping up the feed rate and changing the rpms.
When you say WOC are you talking about the stepover of the tool.
Jeff

What bits do you run at speeds less than what they’re rated for? I think of WOC (ae) as the radial (horizontal) engagement (depth) of the cutter in the material and DOC (ap) as it’s axial (vertical) engagement. So WOC is the result of the stepover process.

Hi folks,

I’m working on v3 of the e-book, and I would appreciate if someone was willing to share a couple of pics for me to use in the book (I’ll give due credit) to illustrate:

• the Z-plus upgrade/option
  • vertical workholding fixtures in front of the machine (I’m looking at you @luc.onthego :slight_smile: )
  • close-up shot of a corner radius endmill

If so, can you please PM me said pics (or just post them here and confirm that you are ok with me using them in the e-book) ?

Thanks !

3 Likes

did you mean one of these?
(and yes you can use)

2 Likes

I put vertical workholding up at: CNC Finger Joint Box and following — you’re more than welcome to use them, and link to the plans on cutrocket:

1 Like

What I had in mind is kinda like of the first one, but smaller, basically a square endmill with a small radius. Halfway between a square endmill and a ballnose. But I’ll take those router bit illustration too ! :slight_smile:

Cool stuff, not sure how I missed that earlier. Thanks !

1 Like

first one is a ‘bowl bit’ … @wmoy has various videos with those in it, and they’re really great for making the insides of boxes/trays/etc … a ballnose would leave ridges, but this one will (with reasonable stepover settings) have a perfectly flat bottom while having the edges of the pocket rounded

1 Like

Makes sense. I should get one of those! I’ve been using a ballnose and indeed it requires a very good precision to avoid any ridges.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000K2ADLY they’re a little on the high side money wise but not insane

1 Like

Thanks ! I won’t be using images from a commercial site though

Here’s a quick one of a radiused endmill. It’s only 4mm but you can kinda see the 0.5mm radius

3 Likes

Thanks. How do you like it by the way? Compared to regular square endmill?

Honestly I haven’t had time to test it, my wedding is coming up and I’m in full production mode on the shapeoko and the laser, it’s all timber, nothing aluminium that I can use it on

1 Like

HI,

Excel tells me the file is corrupt and cannot be opened. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Allen

NYC CNC highly recommends them if possible (doesn’t interfere with assembly, etc.) for tool strength/longevity, as the square corner is the weakest point and can chip. I’ve been meaning to get a two flute version to try; I wonder if a single flute is possible in a corner radius :thinking:
They are also known as “bullnose” end mills, if you wanted an “aka” in the book.

2 Likes

Datron makes a single flute ball so ide imagine a corner rad SF isn’t impossible.

Lots of my roughers (Lakeshorecarbide TAS and Destiny)have corner chamfers to take a little more abuse.

3 Likes

Hope this helps

Chamfer and Radius

3 Likes