Shapeoko pro program issue

Got my shapeoko pro assembled and have been doing a couple projects that have turned out great. But after having the unit sit for a few days it’s seems my X-axis belt has stretched causing some issues, which I believe I’ve remedied

however I’ve been having the occasional program that seems to forget where the machine is and does a random tool path and buries the bit into the project, right in the middle of the project that originally was looking good.So far I’ve been able to catch the issues in time before damage happens but I’m not sure if a reprogram of the controller will fix this or if this is caused by the connectivity issues I’ve read a few times about.

Looks like the machine lost steps or the endmill came loose and was pulled into the cut.

Check things mechanically, and use a pair of good quality wrenches to tighten the collet — only use the button to hand-tighten so things will stay in place until fully tightened w/ a pair of wrenches.

I use the park tool wrenches to tighten the collet. If anything I’m over tightening the bit if that’s possible, I haven’t had bits fall out (yet).

But carbide’s support asked about Z-homing issues which I haven’t seen anything odd there. With that I wonder if I got a connection not seated all the way. Time to double check the machine again, I guess.

This is just me (an SO3 XL owner) on the outside looking in, but it seems that there is a trend of potentially faulty cable connectors that may or may not become loose during running. The failure mode looks pretty similar to what your picture shows.

I would obviously follow the recommendations of support; do as Will suggested and check things mechanically; and I would also check connectors at the board for loose connectors.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.