Shapeoko Pro X-Axis Issue - Need Help!

Greetings,

I have had my Pro XXL for about 6 weeks. Since the initial assembly, the x-axis movement has not been very smooth. Initializing the machine created noticeable vibration when moving along the axis (compared to the y-axis). Despite this, I was able to move forward and complete a few short cut jobs over the first few weeks.

After a while, the z-axis started “slipping” when moving along the x-axis rapidly and could not complete the initialization cycle (z-axis never reaches the x/y limit switches). I reassembled the axis, cleaned/lubricated the rails with Vactra No. 2, re-tensioned the belt, and reconfigured the machine in CM. This allowed the initialization to complete, but the vibration still remained.

After about a week of minimal use the “slipping” returned. I completed the above steps again, which and had similar results. This brings us to where I am now. Sometimes I can complete the initialization, sometimes not. When I do, the machine will eventually fail during a cut job with the x-axis stuck not moving at all, just constantly “slipping” in-place.

I have provided several videos that show the condition of my machine, and what exactly is going wrong during a simple concentric circle operation I created specifically for this purpose. Any help or advice whatsoever would be greatly appreciated! There is probably a simple fix, but I am out of ideas at this point.

TLDR: X-axis movement issue. See videos at link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1KktbAcDrIkRuhq9z_e6O8la7u29B0B8b?usp=sharing

Please contact us at support@carbide3d.com about this and we’ll do our best to get this sorted out with you.

Well the sound is quite characteristic, along with your close up video, the X pulley is slipping on the belt and thus the Z carriage is not moving in X.

As for why that’s happening, whether there’s excess rolling resistance on the X rails, insufficient tension on the X belt or some damage to the X motor toothed pulley, I’m sure support will get you through that.

2 Likes

Just looking at the X Axis and Motor video it looks as it the toothed gear is not tight on the motor shaft. The alignment of one of the locking set screws should be positioned so it seats squarely on the flat on the motor shaft.

2 Likes

As with all Shapeoko stepper motors you can put a permanent marker across the end of the pulley and the stepper motor shaft. This is called a witness mark and tells you after running if the pulley and motor shaft have slipped or not. I do not have a Pro but on the older Shapeoko 3 you can replace the pulley set screws with longer metric cap screws and that makes tightening them easier and less likely to strip t he tiny set screws. Just make sure a longer cap screw will not interfere 360 degrees around t he stepper motor.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies and for taking the time to review this info. After working with support, the problem was determined to be caused by excessive binding in the x-axis linear rails (the cause of which is unknown). I was shipped a new complete x-axis gantry via FedEx overnight, and have since completed the repairs. My machine is back running and has completed several 2 hour cuts without any issues! So far so good!

5 Likes

Seems I am having the same exact issue. I purchased my Shapeoko Pro earlier this year but just got around to finish setting this up. I am not able to initialize my setup because I endue aborting the process do to the sound it makes and it will eventually stop the process on its own because of the X-axis binding. It does this even if I remove the belt and move it by hand.

Get ahold of support. They will get you fixed up.

Good Luck
Welcome to the forum

1 Like

Being a holiday not sure what response you will get from support. In the mean time power off your Shapeoko and mechanically move the router back and forth. The movement should be slow so as to not induce feedback on the stepper motors. If the machine moves mechanically smooth then start looking at your wiring. If the movement is binding then look for what is causing that binding. The X rides on linear rails with bearings inside. Also check your stepper motor pulley that the set screws are secure and one is on the flat of the stepper motor. If the machine does not move smoothly mechanically it will not move smoothly under power. Fix any mechanical issues first. Then start looking at wiring and connectors for pushed out connectors. Support will help but but with Christmas Eve tomorrow not sure what their schedule will be. Try to help yourself and learn.

Both the X and Y axis are run by the 15MM belts. You can remove the belt and try to move with the power off. Not likely the belt is the problem but it will help eliminate that as an issue.

1 Like

I have the same machine and model and mine just started doing the same thing‼️

Please let us know about your difficulty at support@carbide3d.com and we will do our best to assist.

William,

Man, y’all rock! Very impressive for you to reach out to me first. I am going to call customer service Monday morning. I have been running my Shapeoko Pro XXL for about 3 weeks now. Have completed my first 10 projects without any problems. Till now. I put the bitrunner on the Shapeoko Pro XXL and love it! But it stopped working first. After it stopped working I just manually turn router on and off. Next problem that has me shut down now is, Out of the blue the X axis would will up. And last I just noticed on the computer board the lights are flashing red and green. Looked for a reset button but have not found it as of yet.

Best Regards

Randy Hayes

The red and green flashing signifies USB communication, so is expected.

BitRunner failure is probably a blown fuse.

Not sure on the X-axis problem — could be the pulley set screw, belt, or a wiring issue, or blown stepper driver.

William

Thanks for the fast response. I just checked the fuse on the bitrunner and its ok.

Best Regards

Randy Hayes

Let us know about all that at support@carbide3d.com and we’ll do our best to work out getting this sorted out.

If it may be the stepper pulley here is a fast check you can do to check.

IMG_1797

A witness mark is a check you can see in a second.

1 Like

Zman
Thanks for the tip. I marked it and it checked out ok.
So frustrating!! Customer Support contacted me and requested to video machine while cutting a project. So I videoed it and of course, nothing happen. Just finished 3 more projects and just started back today.

So I will try to video it again this week and send it to customer support.

1 Like