Shapeoko rotary setup

Just thought I would share a link to this video, which I think is an amazing use of a Shapeoko

18 Likes

It never ceases to amaze me how diabolically clever some people are! Great post Julien.

1 Like

Wow, that is impressive and something different…thanks for sharing!

1 Like

That is sheer GENIUS… Just goes to show the out of box thinking that goes on!!

1 Like

It’s like a giant 120° Shapeoko spindexer. What a great idea!!!

1 Like

That is really cool. It gets a guy thinking about building on his idea. Thanks for sharing.

I saw the video. What he does is amazing. The part I’m still wondering about is how you take a 3D model and build a gcode path from just one side. Is this a capability available in tools like Fusion or VCarve, or is he working some kind of voodoo?

no voodoo, plain old Fusion360 (or other 3D CAM tools) :slight_smile:

2 Likes

MeshCAM for example has explicit support for the Nomad’s Flip Jig.

That’s pretty cool! Looks like I still have a ton to learn!

it is also not hard to just have a small tool read an STL file, rotate by X degrees and write a new STL file out… the math of that is basic linear algebra (3x3 matrix multiply)

1 Like

From what I can see, he uses Meshmixer a free sculpting software from Autodesk to make his model and support and saved 3 files at 60 deg rotation and uses VCarve Desktop where he uncovers only the part he wants to carve out of the block. Unfortunately, VCarve lets you rotate a model by 90 deg increments only.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.