Shapeoko Success

Cut the 1st Christmas toy today! Lots of learning, over sized pattern and had to cut each end from the center to continue the outline: 650 mm pattern so I drilled a hole in middle of waste board in the front edge, drilled an alignment hole in the pattern dead center, peg in hole and pattern over peg, cut 1st half rotated 180 on peg and cut other half, perfect match. Did my !st engraving, drew in sketchup over a picture, svg’d and used engraving command in E’cam, came out great, all recognized it was a bird. learned I can stop, renumber some cuts and find where I lost place and restart ( I had inserted the engraving into the pattern file after tool pathing each separatly and the cut numbers shuffled together like cards, one router bit cut, one v bit cut and back & forth, kinda funny). forgot to try the packing tape and spray glue. Tabs worked great. All pieces matched just like the drawing. In glue up now, pictures tomorrow. Made a wide clamp for the back edge of the panel to keep it from raising, that helped but still need to “glue” middle of panel down. E’cam ends at 0X and 0Y and each panel had the center peg hole as “zero” so all I did when one half was cut was hit X zero and Y zero because it was already there, probed for Z zero. Hopefully all moving parts will work tomorrow when assembled. We’ll see. But the Shapeoko 3 is amazing or at least it performed perfectly and accurately just like it is supposed to, Thanks Carbide3D ! Couldn’t have done it without you guys.

7 Likes

Pics jude pics,We love pics!!.. lol.Great job :slight_smile:

2 Likes

yes dear…boy haven’t said that in a long time. Will picture tomorrow after glue up and finishing along with camera in dust boot video showing cuts continuing from 1st half to 2nd half. But thanks Mark, someday I need to buy a real camera…

3 Likes

I’ll pile on here too… ware pics!

3 Likes

The pictures are in my head, I’m trying to get them out, I’ll try using the camera next.

2 Likes