Shapeoko XL Cutting Inconsistently

Hi all,

First time posting here and brand new to all this. I am running my first project by my own design and having problems with accuracy while cutting full depth contours. I’m making these plant stands at 1/2" width, but keep getting some angled cuts and inconsistent cuts from one side to the other. One side reads 3/8" and the other 1/2". It appears that the upper part of the stand doesn’t line up with the bottom.

It also appears that in some spots the cuts are at an angle. I re-secured the spoil board, checked all the v-wheels and checked belt tension, but it could be one of those.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Plant Stand 5 Inch Pot 23-32 Stock.c2d (245.8 KB)

While I may not have your solution, which piece on the file is the one that is cut different?
Looking at your toolpaths I see you have two different speeds selected. The one on the right side (stand 1) is cut at 90IPM and the one at the left (Stand 2) is cut at 75IPM. It could be the higher speeds on the right side is too much load and is pushing the piece slightly instead of cutting clean.

You also have only 2 tabs per piece. I would try adding 2 more tabs each piece for 4 total so the piece is more secure piece. Were the tabs at all broken when the job was finished? A broken tab will allow the piece to move and thus can cause uneven cuts or angles at ends.

4 Likes

Hey Mike,

Thanks for the feedback. I played around with the settings a little bit based on some things I read on the wiki page, but I guess I didn’t change both pieces.

As for the tabs, now that I look at it the arms that don’t have tabs are the ones that are thinner, but it starts cutting them thinner from the beginning, before anything gets moveable from further down. Maybe I should just try with 4 tabs just for fun and see what happens. There aren’t any broken tabs, just for the record.

A couple of considerations here beyond the feeds and speeds and tabs:

Thanks Will, I’ll try those out and check back with results.

Will what exactly does the term “Add Geometry” mean. I did a google search but was not finding any definition that I could understand. I have seen this term “Add Geometry” several times and dont understand what it means. Thanks

If one wishes to cut out a design using an outer profile, say a circle:

Go back to the design tab and add geometry to the design by offsetting the geometry (path/object) which will be used for the perimeter or otherwise recreating it:

Then select the original and the new geometry:

and cut it as a pocket down to tab depth, or a suitable thickness at the bottom and move that toolpath above the profile cut:

then edit the profile cut to start at the bottom of the pocket:

1 Like

Thought I would update this with what I figured out was my problem in this situation. I went through a series of configuration steps that led me to think through and read more into what might be the problem. I checked for square, level, belt tension, then configured the x/y values, all of which yielded the same results. I levels the spoil board, checked for necessary tram, both of with yielded similar results. I changed the file to create geometry outside of my contour.

Over all the tests I ran I found that eventually the screws that hold the router mount to the tramming plate had become loose. I also found that one of the Y motor pulleys was loose about a half a turn. After tightening both of those everything is within .2mm, which is good for my standards. Thanks @WillAdams for keying me in to looking further into how everything works, tuning, etc. Now more learning, more testing and more projects!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.