Shapeoko XXL , Carbide motion do not stop the spindle for me to install the tool

Where is the “minimize tool changes” box in Carbide motion or in Fusion 360, I found “Reorder to minimize tool changes” and it is in Fusion 360 in the post-process menu when you create the nc file, I can try that and check my code after. But since I create file using only one tool I dont know if this will do anything, but I will try it, thanks

I just did the test on post-process without the selection “Reorder to mini…” and another with checking the box. in both cases in give the same code.

M9 ( M09:Mist Coolant Device Off )
T24 M6 ( T:Tool Number:24 M06:Tool change )
(24)
S17000 M3 ( S:Spindle Speed:17000 M03:Spindle On )
G54 ( G54:Zero offset #1 )

Interesting

Remove the M6 from your gcode if you don’t actually need a tool change command. You can modify the Post processor to ignore it or set it as a user option.

2 things then

1. Select one toolpath in the ui, not the whole set of them (for the purposes of getting this sorted out)
  2. select the “minimize tool changes” box

You should get a .nc file with NO “T” commands in it.

If you don’t, try this post:

C3D-SO3-DEWALT.cps.zip (5.5 KB)

Many thanks, I will be give it a try , I will let you know the result. Could take a day or two before I get the chance to do this.

One thing I noticed on mine, and after googling around I couldn’t find is that the tool changes occur if the tools are numbered.

If you are using ‘stock’ tool profiles, they have generally unique numbers in Fusion360. If however you make your own tool library, the tools all have the same number. You must edit your tool library, and choose the ‘renumber tools’ option (the number / arrow button). Once you have the tools renumbered CM will detect the tool number change between stages and automatically forward the spindle to the front-center of the work space and prompt you to change the bit.

I don’t get why no one seems to have sorted this out before me, or am I crazy? It took a bit for me to even notice the change, due to me creating the tool library and using those bits, vs the default bits; to identify the root cause.

1 Like

When you make your toolpaths Fusion also lets you know what tool number is right by the op. Easy way to make sure you are using separate tool numbers.

Because a year ago CM didn’t do the toolchanges properly - it didn’t matter what the numbers were. With the bitsetter, now it does.