Shapeoko XXL Cross Straps Bowing Upwards

So I’m trying to follow Winston’s Shapeoko 3 tuning video and it appears that my bed is bowing upwards in the middle from front to back. I have nearly a 2mm high spot. It appears that my cross straps bow up in the middle. If I take a clamp and hold it down a bit my front to back is even within 0.03" which feels very acceptable to me.

Any suggestions on ways to fix that? I’d prefer to not just rely on surfacing my wasteboard since it’s such a big difference.

It feels like having a metal bar running parallel the Y axis and on its side would provide some good vertical stiffness. Maybe it could be attached to the cross strap to ensure flatness?

It seems like mikep had a good solution in a reply to another post (Bolting to solve Bow) but it appears the bottom of my cross straps are even with the bottom of the foot nut.

I’ve torn half my machine apart this evening and at this point I feel like removing the adjustable feet and replacing the middle baseplate M5x25 bolts with longer ones and fastening into my table top may be the only way to fix this.

I never even took the “feet” out of the box. My XXL sits flat on my torsion box table. When I shaved 0.030" off my spoilboard, I left one little “island” that came off in the next run with an additional 0.010".

The bottom of the XXL sits flat on its precision. (The threads and bumps on the back side sit in small depressions on the table top.)

3 Likes

Hey Tex - thanks for the response! Sounds like that’s going to be the route I end up going - torsion box with Shapeoko bolted down to it through the baseplate.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.