Shapeoko xxl cutting to much at once?

I just purchased my first cnc a shapeoko 3 xxl but when I run my job my shapeoko plunges into the stock 2.5 inches deep right at the beginning. I am trying to cut a small box and jar for the first time. Here is my Gcode. I’m using carbide create and motion. I am a beginner just trying to learn. Thanks for the help
box and jar 3 inch.nc (1.3 MB)

Is there sufficient distance above where you set zero to allow the machine to lift as much as it is supposed to?

What do you have the safety/retract height set to in Job Setup in Carbide Create?

I believe so. I am using the betzero v2 to set zero

Please post a .c2d file, generated G-Code, step-by-step notes on how you are securing your stock and setting zero relative to it and managing any tool changes, and a photo showing an attempt at cutting still in place on the machine and we will do our best to puzzle this out with you.

boxandjar2.c2d (530.0 KB)
I am securing my stock by covering every square inch with double sided tape. Then brad nailing 2 opposite corners to a sacrificial piece.
I am trying to do all of the cuts with only a #201 with no tool changes
I begin by initializing the machine I add the first bit at this time bc it tests on the bitsetter after initializing
I then load in my work file
then secure my stock to the workplace then place my bitzero on the bottom left corner of my piece.
then jog my machine into place and probe with my bitzero as instructed.
I hit start and the machine asks for the bit “bit is already in” then it tests the bit on the bitsetter
The machine asks to turn on the router and then hit resume
after I hit resume it begins like normal as if it where not going to have an issue and then plunges 2 inches deep and tries to make the first cut.
If you need more detail I can provide it.
I will have to add a picture tomorrow.

Also I should add Im trying to cut this out of pine

A #201 endmill as noted at: https://shop.carbide3d.com/collections/cutters/products/201-25-end-mill-cutter-qty-2 has:

Cutting Length: .75"

Yet you are trying to cut a thickness of:

1.875" (can you even get that much stickout w/ a #201 and not rub the collet against the material?)

You need a tool w/ that much cutting flute length (or almost that, a little bit of rubbing at the top is usually manageable).

See: https://wiki.shapeoko.com/index.php/Endmills#Long_endmills

A further consideration is you are trying to cut a pocket just as narrow as the endmill — this results in near constant 100% tooling engagement — best practice is to add geometry and cut as a pocket down to at least tab depth:

1 Like

One of the (many!) things I’ve learnt over the last few months is to not exceed the capabilites of the machine.

For example, I cut a new 32" square wasteboard which included t-track slots and, to make sure the ends didn’t have a small radius I’d need to cut out (being lazy!), I extended the cut slightly and fixed the workpiece as far forward as I could, over the front of the XXL.

Big mistake. When the machine reached it’s Y limit at the back of the machine, it did it’s noisy thing (a similar effect so stop switches not working) but then carried on cutting - and effectively screwed up the zero setting for the rest of the project.

You can pretty much design anything of any size in CC, and produce toolpaths from those designs, even if they exceed the capabilities of your machine - in the X, Y and/or Z planes, so be careful! (Feature request coming up)

Fortunately, I was able to recover the project from this mistake (and went on to make several more, but that’s a different story!) but this was an embarassing lesson learned!

1 Like

I’m sorry I did get an extended flute one off eBay I’m not sure what number it would be bc it has no markings and doesn’t say but it’s just an extended 1/4 same as 201 just longer. “Sorry for lack of knowledge I’m at work” I still have more than a quarter inch of bit left after it plunges 1.75 in. I just had to learn the hard way my shapeoko can’t cut as much as I thought at once. I’m going to attempt to do the geometry pocket method you mentioned. I should note this is only my second attempt at drawing anything on carbide create and my first dive into cnc. Only went to YouTube university and am learning everything the hard way thanks for the quick responses.

Also It shouldn’t be running to the deep outside cut first I thought I set it up to do the lips of the box first and the outside cut last

Is the z axis making any bad noises when it starts the file? I ran in to issue the other day where my piece was fairly thick and my retract height was set to high.

So after zeroing off the wood when z axis it tried to retract to start height it made a loud clunk and made the noise like its trying to still go higher but cant. I had to adjust my retract height. Then when z axis went to start height it sounded normal like when the machine first initializes.

2 Likes

Yes I think this is my problem my stock is almost 2 inches I had my retract height at 5 inches for some reason I’m going to run it again when I get home and see

That would certainly have the same effect as in my post above!

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.